Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Song o' the month

Don't get me wrong Jim: I love your playing, and I always did.
Sounds great, but I don't hear Amadie Two Step here, but something different.
Or is it just me?
Right now I'm having some trouble with my hearing (or ear-ring, or tinnitus, or call it anything you like) - I don't even dare to pick up my CA - so I might be wrong. And I would love to contribute to this tune of the month, but I can't. With every note I play it gets worse. Hopefully later!

Peer,

We're both **** near deaf, and Jim's playing it on a dog whistle. We'll just have to take his word for it!

I have to agree, that when compared to Jim's Choupique from a couple of years back, they sound much different, even though they're virtually the same tune.

But Cajun is free-form, so it fits the moment better than the mold.

Ned

Yes, Jim's Choupique (2010) sounds more like the original Amadie 2step to me. Even when he puts a minor chord in the guitar backing. I'm sure they both have exactly the same melody line, and it's just the title that is different.

videos with audio comparison

This is a version I tried to emulate like Amede's "Amede two-step". It's sort of closer to what he's doing than the choupique I made a few years ago. I don't alternate my index/pinky on octaves like Amede. That is a big part of his style. Ican't play like him, nor would I want to attempt to. But, it's closer than Choupique is.

On the new vid I do go to the note that would merit the minor chord key change (only with a guitar player, playing along, would it stand out), but with no guitar, it won't sound the same.

Since I'm playing it on an F accordion, it will be confusing to some. But, the notes I'm playing are (while in another key), closer to the melody line that Amede is playing, than with the Choupique twostep...

Re: videos with audio comparison

Interesting - and ****ed good!

Re: videos with audio comparison

Well done Jim! I love your playing man!

Jimbo as always you can rock that mfer!!!!!!!! You are one of the best keep it going

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!