Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Amadie Twostep - "desperado"-version

Hello Y'all,
Although I'm having some trouble with my hearing at the moment, I wanted to contribute something to Jamey's project. So I put my earplugs in and laid my egg!
All in one try, because I can't play for longer than a few minutes without getting into serious trouble. Right now my ears are sizzling too!
So I hope you like it. IMHO it's not better or worse than any other version, but certainly different. Enjoy! (this is an order)

Yours truly,

O yeah! before I forget: website #1 of course!

Re: Amadie Twostep - "desperado"-version

Peer, you captured the elements of his song that I've been trying to duplicate and can't. Very nice

Sounds authentic! Maybe we should all get some earplugs!

Wel Ned, maybe kill two bees with one stroke and expand your merchandising and beezzzinezzzzzz into Cajun land with this?:

Nout

Semi-private joke, Braves.

Thanks guys. This really was a "desperate" attempt and I paid the price: my tinnitus got even worse afterwards. So bad that I have to consider to quit playing altogether. It's like I'm suddenly allergic to making music! Bizarre situation.
Another cause than The Sound of Music might be an inflammation under one of my teeth. I'm thinking of getting it extracted and see if it stops.

I figured Peer or Nout would get a handle on this tune. Unusual for it being in jig time rather than reel time. Choppee Lafleur your time has finally come :)

Peer, you may be interested in reading this recent PBS broadcast on tinnitus (website 1). This affliction is getting much more attention now, probably because so many soldiers are coming back from war with tinnitus, and several research groups are making progress in understanding it, though sadly, there's still no cure. It seems the sound is not generated by (damaged) ears, but rather by the brain itself that generates its own noise as a kind of compensation for the frequencies that a damaged ear cannot detect. If I may ask, what caused your ear damage? Surely it wasn't playing an unamplified accordion was it?
Tom

Thanks for the article Tom. Very interesting. I've been listening to the sound samples, but my noise isn't among them. The tea kettle sounds comes nearest, but mine is a lot higher, and quite loud.
Fortunately, I'm not getting depressed from it, let alone suicidal, but I can imagine some people do. But sometimes it's going a bit better, so that's a relief. Not at this very moment, but then again I have to admit that I played a few notes on my 114 this morning without earplugs. I wanted to get a bit closer to Amédé! (very stupid to do that now).
I've had tinnitus for some 18 years, but, compared to now, very slight. A lot of people have it, especially musicians, and it didn't bother me too much.
But lately, I had some very noisy gigs, and it started to get worse afterwards, so it could be damage.
At the same time the chronic infection I have in my right upper jaw (since about 18 years!) got worse, so there might be a connection with that, as most of the noise seems to come from the right side. I will have it treated, and then see what happens.
I just want to warn all you Braves to be very careful with noise. It can happen to anyone, and in most cases there is no way back! And I can assure you, it's no fun! Be sure you have some earplugs in your pocket, especially in small, noisy, jampacked places. You can get them in your drugstore for a few bucks. Take care!

Peer, was your only exposure to loud sounds through music, playing in bands? Did you have some other occupation that put you in an atmosphere of loud noises?

No, just as a musician. Not even on stage with a loud PA, because I always play and sing unamplified. But people who are talking very loud, especially in a small space, can be terribly loud too. I never worked on a buildingside or anything.
The first time the tinnitus really became bad was after playing an hour or so on the banjo (clawhammer style, new hobby). Then it came and went; I had some noisy gigs, and then it stayed. Now i quit playing music altogether, even at home. A few tunes on a muted fiddle with the strings tuned down is all I can handle. Playing a CA triggers it again.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!