Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: More on tuning: Holding the accordion together unscrewed

Hey Jude, thanks for your input. Can you recommend a good strobe tuner? I'm fed up with these Korg tuners. I'd like to give my ear a break sometime soon! I can get it right like I have been, but it's frustrating. While I can hear the slightest dissonance of any kind between notes and chords, my ears won't tell me if it's a hair sharp or a hair flat. And at times the analogue tuner won't either.

As of late, I've been only checking any reed with the accordion screwed together. Thank God for batter powered screwdrivers. As for the bellows frame's threading... If it gets worn, I've done my share of fixes in that department.

The way I have been tuning, as of the past couple years, is starting from the mid bank closest to the player. Then I tune the bassoon, and match them, after tuning each rows individually. Then I tune the high bank to match the mid and bassoon. Lastly I'll tune the second mid bank by ear, for either wetness or slight dissonance. I can say for certain the second mid bank gets more of a work out, so to speak. I've been trying to stock up on replacement mid bank reeds, in the case that I feel they're getting too thin.

On the subject of the second mid bank, I'm learning that following a strict pattern for wet tuning, really doesn't do each note justice. Going strictly a number of cents off, for each mid reed, results in drastic beat differences across the board. I'm finding that getting each beat close to each other, but slightly less on the lowest pitched, and slightly more on the highest pitch, to be pleasing to my ears. Even if the beats don't all match exactly, having them close sounds better than the mess that occurs with a strict number of cents to apply to each mid reed note. That's just been my opinion for a while. I get it as good as I can using just the two mid banks...

The trouble with my method is checking all reeds together, and the amount of pressure. But, I still like the end result more than anything I've ever experienced.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!