Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Old German reeds

Definitely!

I absolutely love hearing the bass side on those old recordings. Something about that low growl just pulls at my heart.

John

Yes, Yes! Exactly. The reeds sound different. I'd like to here Jim Pettijohn play that Amede song on my old 3- stop Eagle. The finger board notes are higher and more shrill while the bass and chord notes really growl. Sounds more like the recordings of Amede I've heard. I'm afraid if I get new bellows on the Eagle (if that's possible) that the reeds will get more air across them and sound different.

Sometimes, before I go off to the shop, I just pick up that box and squeeze off some bass and chord notes. Bliss........and a long smile.

Tim, I'd be very interested to see what your 3 stop Eagle Brand looks like. Can you post a picture on here?

Yes... and repro reeds of the same type are still available, though not the one piece zinc plates.. which are cool.

Repro in what way? From who?

I will be experimenting with joining 3 chord reeds together, just to see what effect it has on sound. Will probably be another misguided experiment, but I have fun with misguided experiments.

Paul - Reproduction? Let me at 'em! What brand distributes?

Somehow, this sounds a little to good to be true

Reproduction? Mis-guided experiments? Sounds like the reason I had to get married.....
Didn't I post pics of that old Eagle?

John D.,
Do a search here for "3-stop Eagle in G". I posted it May 19th, 2012.

You all know about a reed-manufactory in the Czech Republic named Harmonikas. Link#2.
The make Helicon Bass Reeds by request.
They also make reedplates for Bayan, Bandoneon, .....
Maybe it's also possible to ask them to make reeds that looks/sounds a lot like the Old Germans.
Just a thought.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!