Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jolie Blonde request

After all this time playing, I've never managed to nail down Jolie Blonde.

I'm headed home for Thanksgiving and my dad has been after me for some time to play Jolie Blonde for him.

Does anyone know of a relatively slow accordion version on youtube or someplace so I can see where the fingering goes? I need to do this for dad before I loose the chance.

Thanks

John in Oregon

Re: Jolie Blonde request

Well .. I threw up a version some time ago. It's on an "F" accordion,
so you'd have to watch the fingering in order to play it on a 'C' accordion.

Hope it helps?

Thanks Nick. That gives a good reference. Wow... F is high for sure.

John in Oregon

It's hard to find a simple version with a clear view on the fingerboard. Maybe the one on link #1? Download and slow down on windows media player.
The thing is that there's a lot of embellishments in this version. Maybe leave them out?

Ganey's and Nick's version's are good, but perhaps a bit advanced for we of limited talent.
Michael Doucet's & Aly Bain's fiddle version is closer to the Harry Choate/ Moon Mullins version that we Texans love & cherish and have made our own Cajun National Anthem..Just wish they'd of left that piano accordion guy in the bus.
Start on #5 on a push and just let the melody flow from your brain to your fingertips. Ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-tay-da, ta ta tay-da, ta-ta-tay-da, ta-ta-tay-da.
If you want to fill a dance-floor in Texas with good-lookin' wimmen, just play that kick-in. Everybody knows what's comin'. And play it fast! It is not a slow waltz. 135 beats per at a minimum. It can really get to be a race that had probably done in more than one geezer dancer. Leaves em' panting but does help beer sales.
JB

I'm getting closer and closer with it, though I keep getting sidetracked with other stuff.

Huh.. trying to work on Jolie Blonde, I actually added a pair of 2-steps to the repertoire.

But then.. I just stumbled on this version by Danny Poullard..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G00dahtBV_E

John in Oregon

Steve Riley has Jolie blonde on his lessons DVD as well

That Danny Poullard version is very good! I've been searching too, but forgot all about this one. A pity that the video quality is not 100 %. A copy of a tape, I guess. But I think it's a good choice. Not so many fancy notes.

F Acadian

Hey Nick what kind of wood is she made of?

Re: F Acadian

Hey Jim,

I believe it's Laurel ..

--BN :)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!