Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hackberry Hop/Les Huppes Taiauts/Il a vole mon traineau

I have it on a 45rpm. Not sure if it ever came out on any compilations.

John

John, how did Hackberry Hop get in with Hippes Taiauts and Il a vole Mon Traineau? The one song I have of Hackberry that has lyrics is a Balfa version that doesn't mention traineaus or errant chiens, the rest are all instrumentals, same tune as Enterre Moi, Pas. You have a different version?

I've never come across any versions of Hackberry Hop that have lyrics. I think the original poster was talking about the tune similarities to Hippes Taiauts and Il a vole Mon Traineau. It just surprised me that Hackberry and Enterre Moi, Pas are the same tune and it took me that long to realize it.

John

Ah, not sure why I was thinking you were the originator. John...Ron, not far off.

I have one version of Hackberry that has lyrics, but they're fairly generic Cajun lyrics, except things happen over there "a Hackberry..".

According to my French dictionary:

TAÏAUT

1)Dans une chasse à courre, cri du veneur signalant un animal pour le prendre en chasse.
2)Cri du chasseur, quand il appelle les chiens pour les lancer après la bête.

So, It's really not the dog's name, it's what you yell at the dog. At least in France. Probably changed to the dog's name over time in Canada and Louisiana.

Kind of like " Tally-ho"; Sounds pretty much the same.

Maybe the dog's name was "Hip", a short form of Hippos, or horse. Big dog. And the quarry was coon, not fox.

Why anybody would want to steal a hay/mud sled beats me. You'd have to steal the mule, too, just to pull the **** thing.

Funny lyrics to a driving song that was probably never meant to have lots of deep meanings.

JB

Exactly, but several various explanations about the origin of “taiaut”.
The most known: “taiaut” = “taille haut” (cut high !!)
Interjection used by the soldiers in the Middle Ages in the fight with their sword.
Maybe other explanations......

Marc.

Thank you all for the information.

Thanks Robert!

Here is a link to the Balfa Brothers doing Hackberry Hop.

http://npmusic.org/Balfa_Brothers_Hackberry_Hop.mp3

It is related to Enterre Moi Pas and the Devillier Two Step (Dennis McGee mentions Frère Devillier on one of the field recordings he did. I think it was Smithsonian Folkways. Maybe he played with him at some point. Frère Devillier was Jerry Devillier's father.)

I have one of the LP's from five with the Hackberry Hop as first somg on side B. It was an LP from Arhoolie number 19030.

Yes, for me it was Leo Soileau doing Hackberry Hop on Louisiana Cajun Music: The String Bands of the 1930s, LPOT110

See this quote from my web site:
"Ever since the 1970s I was aware of recorded Cajun and Creole music from the 1920s and 30s through an outstanding series of lps (long-playing records) on the market by the Arhoolie Records label. I will always be grateful to producer Chris Strachwitz for making that music available! It's as if it's in my DNA now! Some of these remarkable lps are still available from the Arhoolie Web site, with these titles: Louisiana Cajun Music Volume 1, First Recordings (OT108); Louisiana Cajun Music Volume 2, The Early 30s (OT109); Louisiana Cajun Music Volume 3, The String Bands of the 1930s (OT110); Louisiana Cajun Music Volume 4, The 30s to the 50s (OT111); Louisiana Cajun Music Volume 5, 1928-1938 (OT114); Amade Ardoin, His Original Recordings 1928-1934 Volume 6 (OT124); Leo Soileau, Louisiana Cajun Music Volume 7 (OT125)."

Yeah, the only time I have heard this tune called Hackberry Hop is by Leo Soileau's Three Aces, and I bet it's the record company that labeled it wrong! The town of Hackberry is never mentioned in Soileau's recording.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!