Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Faded Love

Y'all making me honte! thanks for the kind words.

Neal, I remember that when Bee Cormier had The Church Point Playboys, they did a french version of Faded Love called L'amour faune'[I am not sure about the spelling]. It was Reggie Matte singing. It could have been Felton LeJeune as well. I don't remember. It's out their somewhere

Thanks! Maybe ebay would have it.

I wonder why they didn't say l'amour déteindu for faded love? Shirley Bergeron used that word déteindu in one of his songs. "Sa robe déteindu et hailloné" (her faded and tattered dress).

Neal, "Amour fané" is a good expression because "fané" can be used both in the literal sense (for a flower) and in the figurative (love, beauty, etc.) in French; whereas "déteint" (or "déteindu" in CF?) is ok for a dress or any material, but "un amour déteint / déteindu" does not make sense in French. I suppose it must be the same in CF.

-------------

If you decided to put what you have found out about the American roots of some Cajun songs on your site, no doubt that that would be very interesting for many of us.

Thanks! The Dictionary of Louisiana French by Valdman confirms that fané means wilted. Déteindre means faded, as in colors fading. Sometimes these metaphors don't translate from one language's idiomatic expressions to another's! It's a different way of seeing the world, I guess! In English we speak of someone's popularity fading, or a fade away jump shot in basketall, and it doesn't mean losing color!

I will try to put in a section on Leo Soileau. It was interesting to see a picture of him in the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, the picture of him on the bandstand with a grinning mandolin player leaning back, almost falling off the stand, and Papa Cairo on lap steel!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!