Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need help with Beau Jocque's "Don't tell your mama, Don't tell your Papa"

Hi Kirk,

Dis pas ta mam ni à ton papa,
J’étais te voir mais quand ils sont pas là,
T’as dit c’est fête mais que toi t’es fou,
J’ai gouté ton bec et puis ton bec était doux.
(Repeat x2)

Marc.

Thanks Marc...you are a great support to this forums members!

Thank you Marc. I'm gonna put what you deciphered from Beau to Google translate
and get the English. Once again...Thanks!!

Google translate.....pretty funny

Dis pas ta mam ni à ton papa,
J’étais te voir mais quand ils sont pas là,
T’as dit c’est fête mais que toi t’es fou,
J’ai gouté ton bec et puis ton bec était doux.

Tell your mam or not your dad,
I see you but when they are not there,
You said it is a holiday but you you're crazy,
I tasted your nose and then your nose was sweet.

I thought "bec" was lips?
Is the total translation a bit off from Google?

thanks,
Kirk

Re: Google translate.....pretty funny

All the automatic translators knows standard French but doesn't know Cajun French. The translation is always ...... curious.
Bec (litteraly beak), is a kiss on lips.

Marc

Man, how've I missed this thread. Those google translators are always funny, and have a problem with La French, but how in the world did it get "nose" from "bec"?

I too wonder why the translator picked such a rare meaning (bec d'aigle = aquiline or hook nose, from my dictionary). Maybe because it was the only meaning of "bec" having something to do with human beings contained in its memory (and since the first words are "Mom" and "Pap")

Among the various automatic translators, I think Google-translate and Microsoft do the best job (provided the text does not contain any metaphors and the structure is not too complicated).

Here is the result of my test (any comments from the native speakers?):

French text (St. F):

Ne dis pas à ta maman ni à ton papa que je suis allé te voir quand ils ne sont pas là. Tu as dit que c'est une fête mais tu es fou. J'ai goûté à tes lèvres et tes lèvres étaient sucrées.

Google-translate:

Do not tell your mom or your dad that I went to see you when they are not there. You said it's a party but you're crazy. I tasted your lips and your lips were sweet.

Microsoft:

Do not say to your MOM or dad that I went to see you when they are not there. You said that it is a party but you're crazy. I've tasted your lips and your lips were sweet.

Reverso:

Do not tell to your mom nor to your dad that I went to see you when they are not there.You said that it is a party (holiday) but you are crazy. I tasted your lips and your lips were sweetened.

Systran:

Do not say to your mom nor with your dad whom I went to see you when they are not there. You said that it is a festival but you are insane. I tasted with your lips and your lips were sweetened.

Babylon:

Do not say to your mom or your dad that i went see thee when they are not there. Thou hast said that it is a feast but thou art mad. I have tasted to thy lips and thy lips were sweet.

PROMT-online:

Do not say to your mum nor to your papa that I went to see you when they are not there. You said that it is a holiday but you are crazy. I tried your lips and your lips were sweetened.

Kirk, try this with the Google translator. (Same text, but in st. French). It will work.

Ne dis pas à ta maman ni à ton papa que je suis allé te voir quand ils ne sont pas là.
Tu as dit que c'est une fête mais tu es fou.
J'ai goûté à tes lèvres et tes lèvres étaient sucrées.

I always liked this Beau Jocque song. I think it was clearly derived from "'Tit Galop", which is another favorite of mine.

Thanks for the transcription of the lyrics. I tried to figure it out a long time ago. I got about 65% but then I got stuck. I have a policy of not singing a song unless I know what the words really are, so I never added it to my repertoire. Now, I think I will slip it in.

Yeah David.
Cool tune. Our guys think we should only do the "stop" occasionally instead of every round. It's a bit too much, unless it's a short tune. Working that out.
Thanks Marc!!!

Thanks Kirk, to transcribe is always a pleasure for me.

Marc.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!