Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: but I LIKE butt joints...

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll try to keep them all in mind. I definitely will be buying one made in LA

Re: but I LIKE butt joints...

Guidry, if you're interested, I have 2 for sale, one a Weltmeister that would be a good starter box ($800), and the other one of my handmades ($2000), both in C.

Re: Accordion recommendations

If you are in Louisiana or plan to visit Louisiana and want to play different brands, you are welcome to come and play some of my accordions.
Acadian, Martin, Bon Cajun, Choupique and even a Sidney Brown.
Kent

I worked my way up the ladder starting at cheap, and then moving up to bargain, and so on. 4 accordions later, the accumulated losses that I took would have fully paid for the two Acadians that I now own. We are too soon old and too late smart.

Caveat: If you go with the best, you won't be able to lay any blame on the instrument. :-)

As J M stated buy the best from the start its a M A R T I N

-LLL- You are such a comic...

"The butt arguments were always silly. The strength of the corner for most builders comes from the glue block on the inside, not the outside corner. Everyone has different preferences based on sound and feel, that's what should guide a purchase when money is not the main concern. Those that do butt joints do so because it's quick, and they'd rather concern themselves with something else. Those that miter do it just because they take pride in a nice miter, not because it serves any "(purpose) "

Butt joints are a cheap expedient and a lazy way to work. Pride being the operative word as well as respect for the project, the materials, and the customer. "Respect" being the operative woprd of a true professional.

Butt joints allow ingress and egress of moisture and have a smaller surface gluing arear and have a short grain against a long grain..the weakest of all joints...
something you will never see from a professional wood worker... except of course American house framers where they can cover their "work".

You will not see a butt joint in Japanese joinery.

Mitres, not miters, are for bishops.

Having a bit of trouble taking a joke Casta? Right over yer head mate? And what would you know about Japanese joinery? The Taisho-era Tansu in my bedroom -- valued at $5000 and a beautiful piece has all sorts of "butt" joints in iit. So does the ki hibachi which is not a piece of junk either.

As I recall Martin, Point Noir, Acadian, Bon Cajun and some others whose names escape me all feature butt joints. It's a Cajun tradition, just like it's a tradition for tight asses to scream bloody murder about those dreaded b-u-t-t joints. I remember you all well...

If you knew anything about Japan, the Japanese and what is and what is not admired you would know that the most prized bowls for the Japanese Tea Ceremony are often crudely made by Korean potters. You would know that exquisite "crudeness" is part of some of Japanese arts and crafts.

I have no dog in the Bishop Mitre/Fat Butt joints. How does the box sound? That's all I care about. To me, getting upset about what other people like shows an incredible narrowness in the posterior but YMMV...

As far as American "framers" covering their work, what a curious comment. Of course they cover the framing. It's called sheathing and siding, plaster and wood trim. Have a nice day...

Still at this Jeff-san? Sheesh. -L-

Hey, what about Jacksonville over by Medford? I'm thinking that's a great place to retire. Do you get over to Medford much? I need to find a place to land after I retire in three years...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!