Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does it have 13 measures or am I losing it?

Talking about different versions ... this is the so-called "Ghostriders"version?

Ghost Riders in the Sky comes to mind...

Dan Franceski tried to decode it 2005. He started in 4/4 and shifted to 5/4 for the 3rd and 9th measures! If 13 measures is correct, then he's missing two beats somewhere.

Easier to play than to rationalize, huh?

Re: La Danse de Mardi Gras

Ganey and I just recently had a similar discussion about this song. He has the answers - I just tap my foot and try to play the tune.

In the Balfa Brothers fiddle version, it is played in G major. The chords are G, Bb and D. In the accordion version, it is in Am. The chords being Am, C and G. The Mamou Playboys blended the two songs by starting off the fiddle version in G, then coming in at the end on the accordion in G minor using a Bb accordion.

Yes, it's that kind of "floating" between major and minor that makes this kind of old music so exciting, just like pre-war blues. Good stuff!

Thanks to all for the help.
Any other suggestions on how to play Mardi Gras Dance other than the Balfa version?
JB

There seem to be many more versions of this song than the famous Balfa rendition.
Lots of different melodies, chords, major, minor, you name it. Website #1.

It would be great if someone would post a slowed video for us to learn

I seem to recall the fabulous Chris Miller did just that in 2009. Here you are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZeXzZkmug

Thanks for posting. Never saw or heard this one.
Another version with a different melody line, and in Am. (with a funny D chord at the end)
There are no "correct" basses to sustain the melody, and no guitar backing also, and still it sounds OK. Another great job by Chris!!

Here's a link to an MP3 of Nathan Abshire. I don't know where I got it, or the origin. Line #2 or http://www.nedcheever.com/mardi_gras_song.mp3

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!