Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hack of Morrow- Willis Prudhomme

C’est le hack à Moreau qu’a capoté, chère,
Qu’a capoté les quatre roues en l’air dans l’bas fossé.
Et la ‘tite blonde elle a s’fait prendre dessous le hack, chère,
Elle a perdu le garde-soleil la chère ‘tite fille.

Marc.

A Hack a Moreau was a kind of a wagon with merchandise on it according to the big yellow book.
First with horses and later with a motor.
Do some of the braves know more details ?

As was previously stated, a hack is a light wagon or old Model type truck that was used by peddlers to sell their wares in the country. This was common before WW II, less so after the war. Leo Soileau made a song I beleive he called the Valse a Moreau to the same tune and using similar lyrics, but more verses. Edius Naquin use to sing this song. Joe Bonsall did the version that most people in south Louisiana reconize.Willis Prudhomme's version is similar to Joe Bonsalls. Ton 'tit couer est barre' dans l'amoire is the same tune with a different story and words.

That is a Model T truck

Thanx guys. Is it morrow or Moreau?

"Moreau". It's a french family name. "Morrow" is an anglicization, as "Soileau" and "Swallow" and many others.

Marc.

RobertLeBlanc
As was previously stated, a hack is a light wagon or old Model type truck that was used by peddlers to sell their wares in the country. This was common before WW II, less so after the war.

Comme sur cette photo, hein ?

http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/AMA/id/239/rec/4

Thanks guys, great information.

In case you want to hear the versions that Robert mentioned,
Edius Naquin's version is on"Louisiana Cajun + Creole Music" (Rounder 1161-6121-2), released in 2010.

Canray Fontenot and "Bois Sec" Ardoin play it on "Louisiana Cajun From the Southwest Prairies, Volume 2 (Rounder CD 6002) released in 1989.

The Canray/Bois Sec version may also be on some other Rounder CDs and maybe also on an Arhoolie CD. Rounder has released several field recordings of Cajun and Creole musicians that may also have the tune.

That Moreau family must have a lot of friends! There are lots of tunes that have Moreau in the title. My favorite is Bonsoir Moreau, which has been released on many Cajun and Creole recordings. MY favorite version is a slightly modernized version by the band File', with D'Jalma Garnier on fiddle.

Some years ago Cajun Company from Holland (RIP, alas) played this version.
I hope you like it! ( I do )
Website #1.

Peer,

This has nothing to do with Hack A Moreau, but it does have to do with the video by Cajun Company - and your comment "alas!" Cajun Company was one of the best Cajun bands anywhere. Back in 1998, the band members and my wife and I were in Louisiana at the same time. We saw them everywhere and heard them play.

Whatever happened to them?

You don't have an email address on your posts; but I would love to hear what they are doing now. If you would, feel free to send me an email.I can't imagine Bas not playing Cajun music. They are some of the nicest people I have ever known.

Thanks,

Jack Bond

Hello Jack,

As far as I know all the band members are alive and kicking. It's the band itself that ceased to exist. (for a while or permanently, i don't know)

Maybe you would like to mail to Bas? basvanderpoll@hetnet.nl

He lives just eight miles away from me, which is, by American standards, just around the corner. I seldom meet him, for he is always busy with I don't know what, but as far as i know he's doing fine. He seems more into oldtime fiddling nowadays, but still plays the Cajun box.
my mail address: peervdb@gmail.com.

Oh, c'est dommage. J'aimais bien Cajun Company, groupe traditionel, ça faisait longtemps qu'ils jouaient ensemble. Peut-être on les reverra. C'est la vie des musiciens !

Marc

Their website (#1) is still there.
Nice traditional Cajun music, combined with harmony singing. They made some great CDs with Dirk Powell as a producer.
I hope some day they will get together again. Maybe Nout knows? Or Ron?

I hope so too. I liked this band very much and always enjoyed their performances every time they came to Saulieu. All their CDs are great. They also wrote new tunes, like this catchy "Balcaskie two-step" written by Bas that can be heard on their site (#8):

http://www.cajuncompany.net/ccsite/cdprairie.html

Maybe it's already obvious but hack is not a Cajun word. It's an English word. Or at least in the southern United States. Jimmie Rodgers used the word in Frankie and Johnny. It just sounds like a wagon.

Bring out your rubber-tired buggy
Bring out your rubber-tired hack
I'm taking my man to the graveyard
And I ain't gonna bring him back
'Cause I shot my man
He was doing me wrong

Yeah! That's it! I knew I heard that word before somewhere.
I know it from a Charlie Poole song. (Frankie & Johnnie a.k.a. Leaving Home)

Send for your rubber tired hearses
Send for your rubber tired hacks
Carry my Johnnie to the graveyard
I shot him in the back

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!