Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Beginner saying Hello

Its only got nine button not what most Cajun boxes have just saying

What's the disadvantage of 9 buttons vs 10?

No disadvantage, especially since you aren't used to a 10 button. The only thing about them is they feel like they're using more air because with the smaller bellows you have less air volume, but it's not a problem, and is only noticeable to someone used to a 10 button. They are generally louder than 10 buttons. With Italian reeds and good bellows and Mr. Doucet saying it's in good shape, you can't go wrong on that one.

It may be a 9 button but sized the same as a 10 button. I think it was made by John E Hebert and he was know to do that. Tommy Quinn had one and it was a pretty good box. Tommy sold his to a guy in Berkeley or that's where it ended up. I have seen and played it. Not likely the same one but just saying.

Shoot, cannot remember who I sold it to. It was a great sounding accordion from another era of Cajun/Creole music. I did miss the 1 button though. But as a starter accordion you cannot go wrong. Or.. there's Sterling (new) for sale somewhere aorund here, maybe Bryan has it. Those are fine boxes for the money and have a true, authentic sound.

The #1 button is generally the least used in Cajun music. The #1 pull is the same note at #2 push. There is a rationale for this, but I find it irrational. :-)

Nine should be fine.

I've played nine's that seemed to use significantly more air (not Bryan's - it was AWESOME!); I'm no expert player, but it bugged me.

Where are you in OK, Ryan? I'm in NW Arkansas, about 30 minutes from the state line. I play the piano accordion, too.

I'm in Central Oklahoma to be exact a town called Tecumseh and I work in Oklahoma City. I haven't played piano accordion in awhile I don't even own one. I had one I played that was a friend of mine when he lived in the same town as me.

Nedro
The #1 button is generally the least used in Cajun music. The #1 pull is the same note at #2 push. There is a rationale for this, but I find it irrational. :-)

Nine should be fine.

For a C accordion, the 1st button pull is a G. So....

Here is the rationale. A chord triad is the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of a scale. On a cajun accordion tuned to "C", a C major triad can be played by pushing any 3 consecutive buttons down at the same time on the push. But this only works for C major. For a G we only use two of the 3 notes that make the triad by pulling the 3rd (B) and the 5th (D). The 1st (G) is on the push so that makes it impossible to a play a full triad since we can not pull and push at the same time. Having the 1st button as a G on the pull (rather than the A note that it "should" be tuned to) gives one the ability to play a full G triad. Yes, it's hard to do but it is possible.

The John E. Hebert Accordion that I have for sale is a full size 6 in. x 11 in .I think the top button was use only for tuning by ear. I talk to Ryan Hulin Tuesday he said it wowld take him about 2 days to get the money together. I told him that I would hold the Accordion .He said that he was a man of his word he posiable made me miss a sale. He bought an old Hohner with a missing metal corner an a crack in the fingerboard unless it was Cajun tune it is wet tune not Cajun tune

I was really hoping this wouldn't get brought up in public John not that I'm ashamed of buying the Hohner but that I said what I said to you. I'm sorry you missed your sale and I shouldn't have given you my word till I was absolutely certain but I'm sending my accordion to Bryan even before I open it he says he'll look at it for me and if anything needs to be fixed he'll do it. Do I regret not buying an $800 accordion that was handmade from you? You better believe I do. I made the decision I did purely based on finances and buying a $350 accordion allows me to pay more bills than a $800 one.

Welcome to the board Ryan.....lot of good folks on here to help ya if you have any questions....one advantage you have is that you got the music inside you already..from your PA playing days...plus your left hand is trained already...hope you find you a good box and good luck to you.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!