Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: my advice:

First you'll hate it, but later hopefully you'll love it, which means you are on the right track. Good luck!

Haha... I never found the love, but I go back to it now and again. It is always humbling and instructive.

John in Oregon

I agree with all of you regarding the metronome. At first you will hate it because you are forced to play at a regimented pace. It forces you to be accurate in your melody. It is a Godsend for proper timing especially when playing rolls and sets of triplets. I have an electronic metronome on my computer and I use it every day. The results are definitely paying off as I now notice that my note values are more even and I don't rush a set of triplets anymore. Everything seems to flow more evenly. The metronome is a must if you want to get serious about playing any kind of music on any instrument.

And .. If you'd rather not purchase a metronome,
there are several 'virtual' online metronomes
that you can run with your computer.

You don't even need to download them ..

--bn

Luckily I have at least 2 metronomes on my iPhone alone and they work really well so I will definitely get in a habit of implementing it.

Re: Left Hand Advice

A lot of good advice from the Braves...how lucky we are to have such a board....left hand was a struggle for me too....I was told to keep playing it..no matter what...and it will come along with time....just like wine..it gets better with time/age...one thing I did, was played in front of mirror....as you know the motion of the bass side for waltz and 2 step...when I see my hand playing it, it sorta help me...if it did not look right I corrected it...but listening has more to do with that, you know when it does not sound right...anyhow good luck to ya and stick with it...it will get better with practice..practice...practice...

Re: Left Hand Advice

When I was a kid I learned to play piano-accordion.
It started with simple children songs and it's easier to manage the bass-side if you keep the melody simple. After some time it becomes an automatic thing with your left hand.
I don't need a metronome, because I'm one myself who drink to much

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!