Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I bought a B stock Hohner 114 and need some advice

Hi, I just recently bought a B-Stock Hohner 114 in the key of D. It was listed as just having some scratches but once I received it, I discovered that it has C reeds on the bass side.
The easiest solution would be to return it for a full refund but I'm wondering if there is perhaps a better outcome to be had as I got it for a pretty good deal. I'd rather keep it if I can make it fully functional without throwing too much money at it.
I was thinking that I could buy a new set of bass reeds in D or if possible have the existing reeds tuned up a whole step. I don't really know what either of these options would cost so I don't know if it would be worth pursuing.
If anyone here has got any thoughts or ideas on the matter, it would be much appreciated!

Re: I bought a B stock Hohner 114 and need some advice

Get some advice from John Elton Doucet, if its a good one might it be worth to have him fiddle around with it ... Nout

Base reeds can be brought up a full step if done carefully, in my opinion, though others may disagree. I recently made some G base reeds out of some C reeds by flipping them over and tuning up the C to a D, worked fine.

To bring a D reed to a C reed you have to load the end of the D reed with lead . IT is not impossiable but it is a lot of work . If I was to do that I would use piano reeds and load one side. J.E.D

Oops, I misread, I was thinking the other way around. Sorry.

Bryan, I read it the same as you did and think John misread. I agree about what you said. Going up in pitch is easier than going down, because it involves filing off metal at the tip of the tongue, which is far less destructive that taking it off the root/middle.

I think What John Doucet said is that he would use a piano accordion reed of the proper note and load the reverse side tip to lower the note, no grinding required. Works pretty good. However, a complete set of bass reeds can be purchased from Hohner.

On a previous subject concerning wire for the valve arms. Motor windings are too soft and flexible. Copper Ground wire is much stiffer. I have also used 1/8" brass rods which work well but are much harder to adjust. Friends in Quebec use nickel plated copper wire but most do not flatten the ends or install screws as in the past. They square the end and cut a slot in the valve and press the square end into the slot. Most have also gotten away from the mylar tape on the valves.

Ah, yeah, and round and round I go.

Back to my original thought, it is possible and even practical to tune the bass reeds a step up. I wouldn't do it with small treble reeds. Anyone disagree, please call me on it, but I've done it with no problems. I don't like loading reed tips if I don't have to, it works, but I feel it slows down the reed.

"B Stock" from a dealer.?

Is it Chinese made ? If so return it.

Buy a used German made 114.

I just bought an early 50's 114 in C in all original condition includint a cloth (original) not leather bass strap. These were the earliest.

The early German made units have better reeds, better materials and better workmanship.

B stock with a few scratches.. perhaps, but with the wrong bass reeds.. no way.

That isn't B stock, it's a defective, improperly built box. Off it.

I think he means that the accordion is the black 114 Hohner made for awhile which I think was called a B model?

"B" stock becasue of scratches according to the OP

HA114B had a black bellows and slightly not so wet tuning.
I owned one... good box but nothing special. I rebuilt mine on day one, I bought it new for $400 US.

Ah yes, I read the post again and saw that

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. After making some calls to see what can be done, I called Hohner to check on some parts prices and when I told them about my situation they said I could send it to them and they would either change out the reeds or send me a new accordion at no cost since it's a defect. I probably should have just called Hohner first, heh.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!