Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Hohner - bass spoon problems

Welcome, RG. Nice to have you on (the) board.
The Hohner 114 is a nice box, but the spoons are quite vulnerable. But also easy to repair. Just bend (and don't break) the metal. I'm 0% technical, and I fixed this problem too. Under the spoons you can glue anything soft, like leather, rubber or plastic, and there will be no more leak if you make sure the spoon falls flat on the hole (that's where the bending comes in. I don't think you need a repairer for that.
OK, good luck!

Thanks Peer, that is excellent info, I will take a stab at it! I understand exactly what you are describing to do as far as 'bending'. I have some leathery type fabric around here somewhere, I'll try to use that as my 'pad'.

thanks again! :)

And Dana thanks also - I am definately going to get Big Nick's DVD soon, I really like his lessons he has on his website, I'm sure the DVD is fantastic. I have also listened to him a LOT on youtube. :) I like his playing style.

Much of the Hohner spoon gasket material was 1/16th in cork sheet

Try an auto parts store. Barring that try .060 Inch gasket material

Use contact cement

FIXED! Found some thin cork at crafts store, already had contact cement. After I had put the cork on I very carefully bent the spoons down - it didn't take much - they are perfectly flat now and work fine. :)

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice on this thread! Now comes the hard part - actually incorporating my left hand into the mix. lol.

You're welcome.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!