Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bonsior, les accordionistes!

Bienvenue chez les Braves!
Most players place two fingers on the bassbox and play with index and pinky, but if you do that with a 114 it's pretty **** uncomfortable!!
I don't remember how I did it. I think I didn't put down any finger at all, and i played with index and ring finger.

Peer
Most players place two fingers on the bassbox and play with index and pinky, but if you do that with a 114 it's pretty **** uncomfortable!!
I don't remember how I did it. I think I didn't put down any finger at all, and i played with index and ring finger.

Peer (and Jonathan), watch this guy's left hand:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xcaQh6Ey_g

Bonjour Jonathan, bienvenue.

Merci Beacoup! I'm glad to be on here now and appreciate the welcome.

@ meloderon & Peer - Yeah, these spoons are tricky! At first I used my ring and index fingers - figured it was a bad habit to do so, then forced myself to hold it using my middle and ring finger closer to the edge of the bass box. This way when I use my index and pinky (which actually rest closer to the smaller part of the spoons), those two fingers holding the bass box don't get pinched to oblivion by the spoons , plus hopefully it trains my hand to hold it more properly for later, hehe. It's definitely still playable for sure

Welcome aboard, Jonathon. I had an HA-114 and found it to be adequate for a few months, but as I progressed, I made the jump to a hand-made. Those spoons are a b*tch.

The hand-made accordions, even by the lesser-known builders, are, by design easier to play. Good players can play an HA-114 well, but those with undeveloped skills will have a harder time with it. Ordinary folks need the benefit of a good instrument to do their best work.

Lache pas!

I hear ya! I used to play drums - had bottom of the line for a few years to start with, then went to TAMA Starclassic Maple. The difference in tonal range was night and day. Same goes with playing a mass produced banjo as to playing a prewar Gibson banjo, you just can't beat awesome. HAHA!

@Christian - Merci pour la video.

I know the guy on the video

Re: Bonsoir, les accordionistes!

Hey Ron, hope to see you at the picking party next saturday!

On website #1: the ultimate solution to the 114 spoons problem.
Almost 6 years ago! time flies.

Re: Bonsoir, les accordionistes!

Hey Peer, see you tomorrow.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!