Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Guitar or FiddleTracks

Does anyone have guitar or fiddle (or both) tracks of any songs that they would be willing to share?

I only play the accordion and finding folks with whom to play here in Eugene, Oregon has been a frustrating endeavor.

For you folks back home, it's easy. Shake a tree and someone with a fiddle, guitar or accordion falls out. Here at the edge of the world.... no so easy.

John in Oregon

Re: Guitar or FiddleTracks

John A,

Sorry, but it's really hard to believe that there are no guitar strummers in your neck of the woods. Have you tried Craig's List? No country, Americana, Rock, or bluegrass jams?

But, if that is the case and there is no one, you really need to learn how to play the guitar yourself.
Playing the guitar will enhance your timing ability and improve your rhythm.
Go to a local music store and pick one up for less than $100.00.
Steel string acoustic probably the best way to start.

The Internet, and especially YouTube, are full of instructional videos.
Or buy a chord instruction book when you buy the guitar.

If your accordion is in C, you only need to learn to play the C,G,F, and D chords. If it's a D box, just add the A and E chords and you are set.

After your fingers and brain have figured out three chords, record yourself. Hum the melody of the song while you are playing the chords.
Then play-back your recorded track and add the accordion along with it.

You'll be on your way to becoming a musician.

JB

John A,

Get in touch with this Dude:

Mark Ross
www.lehnherr.com/butte
(541)556-0358 cell (No text messages please)

He's listed on Craig's List, Eugene, Oregon, on Tuesday, Jan 21.
First listing on that date.
Plays just about every kind of string instrument, at least according to his ad.
Lots of guitar players in Eugene, according to Craig's.

My cousine lives there and she does quilt art and makes a living at it, plus she's told me it is a fairly artsy town, so got to be some pickers and grinners there.

Where there's a will, there's a way.
Good luck to you, Brother!
JB

It's very frustrating here. I've run into any number of guitar and fiddle players, but can't seem to get them get together and play.

I'd like to learn guitar, but my spare time for music is pretty well taken up with accordion. Who would have thought that 10 little buttons could be so difficult.

John in Oregon

Link #1 is to the Tracy Schwartz website where he has practice tapes for:

Cherokee Waltz, Lovebridge Waltz, Midnight Waltz, Jolie Blond,
Allons a Lafayette, Jongle a Moi, Lacassine Special, 'Ti Galop Pour la Pointe aux Pins.

He plays them both slow and up to speed. One tape in C/G and one in D/A. He plays the fiddle and accordion lead and then has a guitar rhythm part where you can play lead.

Good luck.

Thanks for the link Bruce. Just what I'm looking for. I'll get a check out tomorrow for sure.

Man.. it would be tough without this forum for sure.

John in Oregon.

Thanks for the Tracey Schwartz link, I'll add that to my shopping list....
so let me think- Tracey Schwartz tape, yellow book, LA made box, plane ticket to Lafayette....

contact me in Redmond Oregon I play fiddle and guitar, write and sing

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!