Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
True Detective

Anybody watching True Detective on HBO? It's set in Vermilion parish, and the murder victim is found in a sugar cane field outside of Erath.

Cameo performance by Joel Sonnier in a dance hall in last night's episode.

Not very true to local color, though. I haven't heard a Cajun accent yet. Characters refer to locals as hillbillies. (FYI, Erath is 7 feet above sea level, not exactly hill country. I guess I should just be glad they're not referring to people as coonasses!)

We'll see if there's any more local color as time goes by. So far, no mention of Cajun food at all, even though we've seen them eating bahn mi vietnamese sandwiches at a drive in and spaghetti in another episode.

To be fair, it's not like the show Tremé, which tries to be true to the character of New Orleans. True Detective looks like it could have been set anywhere in the South (just not SW LA, the most Cajun place on earth!)

Re: True Detective

I didn't see it but I watched other movies which are about Cajun-people.
I know that what we look at isn't real and is more like what Neal wrote in his post.
What is the opinion about these movies in the Cajun-community, I would like to ask the Braves from LA ?

Meloderon,

I think its good these tv shows and movies are bringing revenue and jobs to Louisiana. The state, like many others, are giving tax breaks to these production companies and they are shooting a butt load of tv shows and films here. Its given quite a few gentleman I know some good paying work.

I think their presentation of the people and culture isn't really that great. In their defense and a nod to our awesomeness, it would be pretty hard to nail an accurate depiction of the cultural milieu here. Louisiana culture is quite complex, and to the outsider can probably be a pretty daunting task to accurately depict unless they're in the business of doing so by way of documentary or something similar.

They're doing what sells. Duck Dynasty, swamp people, etc. is selling, so why not take a good tv detective show and set it in a similar area?

I am a little upset they didnt hire local musicians to play in their shows. that disappoints me. that had to pluck Joel from nashville I'm assuming?, not a knock on Joel, but I know some good musicians in Vermillion Parish that could have easily fit the bill and probably would have gladly taken their cash.

In the end they're filming a detective show, that probably targets suspense and mystery and a little creative marketing as their hook , not culture and music unfortunately.

I do think that these shows give people abroad the wrong impression and tend to generalize the people that live here. One visit to the Lou will smash that impression into a billion pieces. Any visitor with enough gall to go out and see the real deal will be amazed with the amount of diversity and beauty that the state and its people have to offer. I hope it gets them here and they enjoy themselves with us. I hope they spend lots of money at local places and see live local music and support some of friends on this forum.

Speaking of which, if you guys are in the Basile area this Friday Jon Melancon's band is playing at The Roadhouse! Ya'll go check em out!

-C

Christian! Man, I read that whole post and was totally surprised by that last line. Thank you my friend!

No prob Jon. You guys rock! Happy to support my friends especially since you guys are front porch in it. My favorite style. Y'all let me know when you're playin. If I can make it you'll see me there hollering and dancing!

Bien dit, mon ami!

Christian LeJeune
No prob Jon. You guys rock! Happy to support my friends especially since you guys are front porch in it. My favorite style. Y'all let me know when you're playin. If I can make it you'll see me there hollering and dancing!

Will do! And of course, you are always welcome to get up and play some tunes with us!

Yes, Neal, I agree. , I haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I keep hoping to see D.L. and his chair factory.
Or anything Cajun. It's a good series, but it always makes me mad that they don't respect the local culture if they are going to highlight it in any way in the show. Treme is much better at that, again I agree.
Gene

I have watched all the TD shows, sometimes 2-3 times, and have really been unimpressed with their depiction of Southwest LA.

It's more of a showcase for Harrelson and McConaughey to show off their respective acting talents (or lack thereof) as two mentally unstable cops called on to account for their actions.
Both their accents are 100% Texas, which is normal, 'cause that's were they're from originally.

The show also gives Harrelson a couple of opportunities to express his political viewpoint, which was a concession to him, I suppose

The only Cajun accent comes in the last episode, from the grandpere of one of the female victims, in a place called 'Pelican Island' population 200.

The bumper music makes absolutely no sense for the locale.
No reflection against T-Bone. it just doesn't sound Lou.

They chose to film a lot of the footage along either LA82 or LA315.
Makes all of Lou look like marais .

When Jo-el is on stage, he is playing some *******ized form of C&W with an accordion just along as a prop.

It's not about LA. It's Hollywood, all over again.

JB

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!