Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I just bought an old accordion form ebay... advice please

A "real" Cajun accordion is any accordion made by a Cajun.

What you have is a single row 10 button diatonic, bisonoric aerophone.

I can't see the "stops", "registers" used to change the configuration of the opening of the various reeds...

How many of the pull levers are there at the top of the box ?

If you read what flatfoot said its got 2 stops and I think its obvious to everyone that this is not a 4 voice box or a cajun accordion and probably predates cajun built accordions by a number of decades.
But if the fella wants to have a dabble at learning cajun tunes and this box is his starting point, well its not going to hurt. Not everyone can go out and spend 2 grand on a whim. I bet in the past some really good cajun and creole musicians had to make do with just a harmonica to begin with!

I disagree. A Hohner 114 is a real cajun accordion and was quite popular. Any single row diatonic in C should be able to play cajun music.

Exactly, if you have 10 buttons in the diatonic scale and the instrument is playable then you can start having a go.
These days you can even play diatonic 1 row tunes on an i pad or phone- not my cup of tea, but at least it'll get the fingers going.

HI Guys, Its pretty old, late 1800s, has two stops (which arent attached to anything - just for show i guess) and as far as i can tell its in E! I cant even play my banjo along with it! oh well it sounds ok and is fun to learn. Ive not attempted any cajun yet - im learning The Irish Rover - but once i get the whole coordination thing sorted i'll be back here murdering your favourite tunes ... in E!

And hey AJ, what do you mean by a four voice box? just interested in case i take this up seriously. all the best, john

I think that AJ is writing about a Cajun Accordion.
A normal one row Cajun accordion has four reeds for each tone/note you can play for the pull and the push , so there are 80 reeds in a Cajun Accordion in 40 plates. ( I hope these are the right words for it )
Your beautiful oldie have two reeds for every note.( I suppose)

Flat johnny,
Welcome here!
Cool old box. It has pearl-oid buttons like the old Hohners. I have several old boxes like this. The reason it only has one "bar" in the bellows is because it has so few reeds to feed. These old boxes went from 1 stop and evolved into 4 stops in the newer CAJUN built ones, with bigger and longer bellows to feed the additional reed banks.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!