Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: cajun/creole accordions impossible to find in oz

Hi Doug ~

I arranged to have an authentic Cajun accordion shipped to a friend in Adelaide. I bought it on eBay, packed it up an shipped it out. Apparently it got caught up in Oz Customs for a few days because of "wood" (timbre) issues and import regulations, but eventually my friend received it....safe and sound. He and some "mates" play in a band called The Creole Cowboyz. I'm not sure how my friend keeps his accordion in tune.

BTW ~ it's NOT necessary to purchase a Savoy accordion to get a quality instrument. There are any number of accordion makers in Louisiana and surrounding states that construct wonderful instruments at considerably more affordable prices!

That was nice of you to get an accordion for your friend. It appears to be getting used for what it was built for!

Yes i figured there would be a number of places making the authentic ones & was dumbfounded to find that the net isn't presenting them to the world like all other instruments are being presented. Usually a musical instrument is shown from many angles in high quality pictures so that people know what they're buying. There can even be video clips demonstrating how they sound. & that is for instruments costing a lot less than a cajun accordion.

I seem to have rubbed some people the wrong way here. I must be doing something right; so when I'm on stage i'll be on the lookout for anyone giving me the evil eye

BTW ~ it goes without saying that there are rude people everywhere. In my experience, Florida ~ especially in the Miami area ~ has more than its fair share.....

The legendary JoanieBlon! You must have been away for a long time.
I only know you from the instructions of how to put a picture on the board (in which I never succeeded)- and I've been around for quite a while.
Q: Why are there so few ladies here? We're all trying not to be rude!!

I haven't posted in a very long time (!!!) because due to medical issues ~ frozen shoulder ~ I never learned to play my accordions. I was also put off by the constant bickering and and name calling by SOME of the forum members I still have all four of my accordions .... a purpleheart Martin in "C" with crawfish bellows, a "D" made by Shine Mouton, an unusual "E" with five stops made by Randy Falcon, and a gorgeous Bb with a center bellows divider made by Greg Mouton.

My husband and I moved from Tampa Florida to Lafayette Louisiana last October, so we could be in the heart of all the wonderful music, food, culture and friendly people!

There are opportunities to listen to local musicians or jam with them every single day of the week! Hopefully, now that I'm retired, I'll be able to find some time to start learning and playing my accordions! We both LOVE living here!!

Hey Joanie. Glad to hear all is well for you guys in your neck of the woods. Enjoy life!

Joe Kopacz
Hey Joanie. Glad to hear all is well for you guys in your neck of the woods. Enjoy life!
Thanks, Joe! Haven't seen you for a LONG time. Mike & had heard that Dwight is a part-time resident of Cecelia or Henderson, but we've yet to see him at any events here....hope that all is going well for you!

You go girl. Show em what you've got

Well that's awesome ! So let me take this opportunity it welcome you to God's country Joanie !!!!! Glad you came to join I. The fun !!!

Rusty
Well that's awesome ! So let me take this opportunity it welcome you to God's country Joanie !!!!! Glad you came to join I. The fun !!!
Thanks, Rusty! We have been thinking about moving here since about 2001, but finally bought a house in central Lafayette and made the move! We LOVE living here! Such friendly people, great music, food and culture and so many things to do! There are so many music events that are free, or for very little charge, that we have a hard time making up our minds at times.

We plan to attend the Courir de Mardi Gras at Vermilionville this Sunday, February 16th, which features the Iota Mardi Gras krewe and the Pine Leaf Boys at the Bal du Dimanche. Look for a tall guy in a blue suit with a beard, a roach on his tongue, and a safety pin through his nose, and a small woman in a red suit with a VERY LONG nose!!

We plan to attend the Courir de Mardi Gras at Vermilionville this Sunday, February 16th, which features the Iota Mardi Gras krewe and the Pine Leaf Boys at the Bal du Dimanche. Look for a tall guy in a blue suit with a beard, a roach on his tongue, and a safety pin through his nose, and a small woman in a red suit with a VERY LONG nose!!

Here's a link to the Eunice Mardi Gras run of 2003. Hard to believe this was 11 years ago!! Mike's mask is shown at the beginning of the video and his costume with the mask starts at 51 seconds in. This year, I chose to go as THE CHICKEN, which brought many comments....such as..."Go run, chicken....I'll catch ya and shake n bake ya!" I did have some concerns that some very drunk Mardi Gras might try to tackle me!! The music is by the group Mamou (Steve LaFleur on accordion and lead vocal) from the Ugly Day CD.

Here's a link to the 2005 Eunice Mardi Gras run. Again, I was a chicken, but a different chicken than in 2003. If you look closely, you can see I have captured a little Mardi Gras who is in a costume identical to Mike's! Music is by the late, great Beau Jocque.

Thanks for sharing that video with us. It looks like everyone was having a good time & your chicken costume fit right in. Beau Jocque is like a zydeco freight train comin @ ja full speed. Awesome artist. Thanks again

Miss Joanie! Really a treat to see you posting here! Sounds like your world is still spinning, in a good fashion.

Peace,
Griff

Griff
Miss Joanie! Really a treat to see you posting here! Sounds like your world is still spinning, in a good fashion.

Peace,
Griff

Thanks, Griff! We are REALLY glad that we made the move to Lafayette! Now we're in the midst of all the music and culture that we love so much!

Peer
The legendary JoanieBlon! You must have been away for a long time.
I only know you from the instructions of how to put a picture on the board (in which I never succeeded)- and I've been around for quite a while.
Q: Why are there so few ladies here? We're all trying not to be rude!!

Oh, we're here...

Quite a few Cajun accordions are just suddenly appearing on ebay here in oz!!!!!!!! Someone with a finger on the button is reading this forum. Good work guys/gals

The cajun brand accordion looks just perfect to me. The name on the front tells folks the name of the music genre the instrument comes from. Which will be very helpful around here. I just have to figure out how to view & buy one.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!