Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Balfa Mardi Gras Song on the Accordion

Someone mentioned good versions to listen to. I thought I'd illustrate the differences in the versions. The following is just copy from the description of my video.

The Balfa Brothers version of the Mardi Gras song is not the same although to most people, the are interchangeable and the lyrics are similar. Typically, the Mardi Gras song is play in the key of Am on a C accordion. The Balfa Brothers fiddle version is in the of G major. Well, a C accordion plays in G, right? Well, yes, but not in that scale. The fiddle version has a Bb in it. You can't play the Bb part on the C accordion.

Here is a demonstration on how you can play that version if you transpose it to D major. The chord progression is D, F, G, D.

If you are lucky enough to have an F accordion, you could actually play along with the Balfa version and even near the same pitch. You could compete with the fiddles! LOL!

Enjoy!

Re: Balfa Mardi Gras Song on the Accordion

That's the way I learned the song, from listening to the Balfa version, and I couldn't understand why when I first saw someone play the song, they were pulling when I was pushing. Learned much later there are at least two positions to play it.

Yeah, Bryan.
Sitting down and standing up.

My accordion don't work standing up.

Bryan Lafleur
That's the way I learned the song, from listening to the Balfa version, and I couldn't understand why when I first saw someone play the song, they were pulling when I was pushing. Learned much later there are at least two positions to play it.

Pretty much the same story for me.

Woot! 1st up. Thanks Ganey. Hopefully that'll get folks started. I really want to hear as many other takes on it as we can get.

John in Oregon

You can also fake it in G major on a Bb, but you don't have the lowest G note to end the phrase. You have to go back to the middle G. When the Mamou Playboys did it, they start on fiddles in G major and switch to Gm when the accordion comes in.

Now, let's see some of those Am versions. I don't really like to play that one.

Think I might be playing it in F on a C accordion- if thats possible?. Will do a vid when I get chance.

Re: Balfa Mardi Gras Song on the Accordion Am??

My attempt for Danse de Mardi Gras
At least I know how my Phone can make movies.

Sorry for the mistake halfway

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!