Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Remembering Al Berard

Beautiful story Ganey and that gives a very good image of somebody.
I met him once and saw him play a two times at the Crawfish Festival at Breaux Bridge.
Very nice man and a great musician and a keeper of the traditional way of playing Cajun Music.
We only can say, "thanks Al for all your wunderful music" and I wish his closer friends and relatives courage.

I meet Al in California at the Isleton Crawdad Festival. He and Faren Sarrett and I stayed at Blair Steve's house in Berkley.
I shared my times spent on the old the old farm in Pecaniere, and how I had grown up with him, and when I had finished, Al looked at Faren and said " he's just like us, he's one of us! " That's the greatest thing any musician has ever said about me. He made me feel like I belonged in that group. I only hope that I can belong in your group again some day Al. Rest my friend, and play a tune for me in Heaven.

I just got back from Al's wake. At a loss for words. My heart breaks for his family. His wife, daughters, grandchildren...

The 1st time I meet Al was at the Coffee Break jam in Breaux Bridge about 6-7 years ago. I was just getting to the point where I could play and hold up for a few songs on accordion. Al was sitting right by me playing his heart out as he always did. I remember being so excited to be playing along side him and was just doing whatever I could just to hold on and not mess up. I played my 4 or 5 songs and throughout Al was saying the nicest most encouraging things to me. After that, his wife came to me and did the same. They were unbelievably sweet and sincere people. He wasn't scared to reach out and love on you. That 1st encounter with him always stuck and motivated me.

I think everyone who played with Al, no matter what their level of ability probably has a similar story. That's just the kind of guy he was. A great one. Nobody is perfect, but Al was about as close to perfect as any human could be.

A good man here is one of my favorite youtube vids of him having a good time!!! Keep on chewing that gum

Al with family & friends:

Al was a brother. He was a gifted man that shared his joy of music and friendship readily.
I was very lucky to have him join us last summer at Blissfest in northern Michigan,( a venue he had fond memories of with the Basin Bros.) for a weekend with our zydeco band. I can't say how much fun we had. What happens at Bliss, stays at Bliss....:-)) Rest in Peace, brother.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!