Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: which Baffeti for zydeco?

GL II

Grand Lusso 2.. is the box of choice for many of the Zydeco players as well as pro Euro players.

4 reed nine switch... Bincis not necessary but at least a mano, perhaps Armoniche/Antonelli.... contact Karlitos Way accordions... he is a Baffetti dealer in Tejas and a straight shooter.

This is a professional instrument.

If you want a 3 reed get the GL I Grand Lusso 1

However, no reason you could not use the Latino 3s other than it is garish and hideous. Perhaps you also want an eagle on the bellows and tri-color
or gender impaired jesters running up and down the chassis.
Karlos designed a very cool black box that may suit you.. I'll see if I can find a link.

F,Bb,Eb would be my choice.
Another choice would be Beltrami, also from Karlos but more dough.

CastagnarI imnsho is not suitable for Zydeco, though could certainly be done. It would be a waste of a good box that is better applied to another style of music. Their three row boxes are mostly played by Euro players in the G/C acc format. Meaning the first two rows are G and then C then the third row would be all the accidentals ( flats and sharps) in order to play in all keys. Three rows come in all configurations and sizes starting with the BENNY and the Maz and Handry etc. 2 reeds, 3 reeds 4 reeds even a 4 row. Starting around $4k up to $8k. They use antonelli tipo a mano reeds off the shelf or reed of your choice.

See the web site The Button Box... a dealer in Mass US
I have owned 10 Castagnaris and have and play one currently as my main instrument.

You must special order the Baffetti Latino boxes without bass reeds. Gabbanelli is famous for making mediocre quality boxes with mediocre reeds and no bass reeds and selling them for prices that would imply fully reeded with hand made reeds. Buyer beware.

Saltarelles are made by Dino Baffetti in Italy and sent to France and rebadged by Georges Roux. They are famous for spotty quality and high prices.

See the link for a box sold by Carlos to Chris Ardoin... note the keyboard layout... this is a box not specifically intended for Tex-Mex/Norteno
but for all styles of play where the patterned runs are not part of the Zydeco Euro style of play.

I would also suggest Hohner... specifically the new IIIN.

Hohner III N Xtreme buttons wobble too much.

I tried a Baffetti 4 voice, and, it was way too heavy, and way too hard to push closed to even get a sound. Could have been that box. It was used. But it was bloody difficult.

I'm looking to stay under $2500 if possible. Or thereabouts. An old Corona III R might be good too.

I have owned 2 Corona IIIN models... buttons did not wobble. I lkied them...
far superior to the standard Carona...

I have owned a couple Corona IIIR
They are very slow and large and complex switch slides that jam and they are very quiet, particularly the inner row. And the buttons wobble.

The Baffetti GL2 with 4 reeds that I have played are very sensitive to the touch, and a very expressive box that will take heavy -play.

Good luck.

I've only tried one III N, at an accordion festival, and it wobbled. I think I tried a III R at the same festival, possibly at another time, and I don't remember it wobbling.

I wish there were more stores where I could walk in and try them off the shelf. None in the stores around here. Just cheap chinese one or two voice crap.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!