Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
L'accordina

Maybe some of you all have already heard of this instrument. "L'accordina" is a cross between an accordion and a harmonica:

http://www.accordinas.com/index.php?lg=1&rbq=1

A page specially meant for Bryan:
http://www.boite-accordeon.com/index3.html
(Click on "La fabrication de l'accordina").

Different kinds of music on the accordina:

Re: L'accordina

Well blow me! That adds a whole new meaning to the phrase "hand to mouth".
Almost as odd as a Nose Flute.
Some good sounds though.

Melodica

If you want keys not buttons then try the Melodica (Pianica). A popular childrens toy instrument back in the day. I doubt whether Bryan will have time to read up on L'Accordinas as I understand his current project, the Cajun Calliope, has design issues.

Re: Melodica

A melodica is far from sounding as good as an accordina. More like a toy, as you say (my parents always wished they had not bought me one when I was a child ).

Re: L'accordina

The original Accordina was invented by BOREL of France in the late 40's early 50's.

The keyboards arte closely related to the continental chromatic accordeons or CBA Chromatic Button Accordeon.

Wood ones are made by Laurent Jarry and others but the best are still in the metal style of the BOREL made by Marcel Dreux in So France.

They come in CBA 3 row or fully diatonic three row or with piano keys.

Unlike the harmonica, the accordina is blow only no draw.

They run about $1500-$2000 USD

To my ear.. in the posted videos the first one flat sucked... Galliano is Galliano...very fine accordionist and one of my favorites.... and the Japanese guy wins the prize though his rhythm guitarist is clueless, she tries to get the Gypsy Jazz beat and vibe , but no cigar. Great music though and the accordina gets it all the way. Very expressive.

Professional chromatic harmonicas with 16 holes have about the same range and have their own special sound and style of play.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!