Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What kind of reeds are in a Beaver Brand accordion?

Have a line on an ancient and very beat Beaver Brand four stopper. I'd buy it for the reeds if they are any good. Pretty sure this was Hohner's budget line. Anyone know what they put in these boxes?

Re: What kind of reeds are in a Beaver Brand accordion?

Tommy, I did a little checking and from what I came up with: since your are interested in the reeds,there are two possibilities. First possibility is that the reeds are steel toungs, mounted on a single plate ( similar to the reeds in a harmonic ) which would pretty much be useless in a modern "Cajun" accordion. The second possibility is that they are Hohner reeds on individual plates. I saw where one person commented that he had a Beaver Brand that had these reeds, Hohner reeds with "H" stamped on the end of the alluminum plates. Hope this info helps.

Those H reeds i never saw, but the T branded reeds sound great. -Nout

The accordion is original and shot. but it's a four-stopper and the layout is Cajun -- no spoons or that stuff. I might get it for cheap just for the reeds...

A guy had given me a Beaver, which I fixed up for my wife's little niece. It had the single plate brass reeds Jude referred to. This one my have single reeds, but don't expect to be good ones.

I have an old beat up Beaver. It's just like he said. Like a harmonica.

Does that mean that all the ten reeds from a bank are on one reedplate?
As they also do in a Bandoneon.

I passed, actually i forgot to bid. sold for eleven bucks. As I said it was a four-stopper...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!