Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: L'AnseGrise #5 for sale

That's right. If you want to be able to play in all keys on one instrument, a keyboard- or a chromatic button accordion is your choice.
The single row accordion is designed for volume and rhythm, and played very much "on the bellow". But it's not suited for French musette accordion, which is very melodious.
I have seen some very good diatonic musette players on Youtube (wow- but very difficult to play), but that requires a special instrument with a lot of extra basses. If you already have experience in playing on a keyboard, I would go for a keyboard accordion.
I play a very small one , so I can put more swing in my playing if I want.
See Link #3 which leads you to a piece of "French Cafe music" (which I call Musette). Not at all impeccably played, but it gives a good example of the possibilities.
Check out the original Nany, and there is also a very very good diatonic version of it on YT (much better than mine).
The original was played on a big chromatic button accordion by - I guess- French accordionist Gus Viseur, and was composed in the forties by Joe Colombo.
Of Slavic music I don' t know much, but they also seem to play big chromatic accordions, and not small diatonic ones!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!