Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Can the key of a Cajun accordion be changed?

The accordion in question is a Larry Miller Bon Cajun.

I spoke with Larry briefly the other day, and he made it sound like it would not be a good idea. He thought that removing the reed blocks would damage the plywood of the faceplate.

So, I don't know what to think, other than I don't need 2 Bon Cajun's in C, and I would very much like to have one in G.

Anyone have a G to trade?

-David

"removing the reed blocks would damage the plywood "

Can be minimized, but yeah, it'll mess it up a little (the backing plate, not the faceplate), but it's just wood, can be fixed. I still think you're better off selling it and buying a G, unless you had some real attachment to it.

Excellent illustration why buying a box such as a Castagnari Melodeon, is sensible... removable reed blocks.

I haven't played a Castignari, but every other box I've played with removable reed blocks has less volume than a similar box with glued reed blocks.

Castignari's are in a class by themselves. They are exceptional in every way.

But I can't say that I have played one side by side with a Cajun accordion with an eye to comparing their loudness.

Castagnaris are plenty loud..

I don't care about loud, I care about:

1. Q U A L I T Y
2. Tone
3. Playability
4. Durability
5. Ease of tuning
6. Ease of serviceability ,repair, maintenance
7. Ease of reed replacement (I have owned 12 Castagnaris and never replaced a reed or a spring.)
8. Value, expensive and worth every dime
9. Distinction
10. Resale (though not so important)
11. Mitered corners : )

Is their tuning such that they sound like a cajun box though? And, if not, would you be willing to retune? Are there 4 voice castignaris?

The Castagnari "Melodeon" is a 1 row 10 button, 2 bass, diatonic, bisonoric bellows driven aerophone. with four stops with LMMH reeds. It is built to a very high standard. Theor standard reeds are Antonelli tipo a mano. I believe the current price is $2750 US, you can check that at the Button Box. They have a web site.

Castagnari generally tunes 12TET from dry through a variety of wet tunings.

I have never heard of one tuned to "just" tuning..

I would not buy a Castagnari tuned to "just" tuning nor would I have one retuned to "Cajun" tuning.

Thought this could be done, I would not advise it.
The Castagnari is not a "Cajun" box.. it is something a bit different. You would need to see and play one to understand that.

When I had one in C stupidly sold it) I played Cajun tunes and they sounded fine.. though not dischordant. (to my ear)

The link shows Brendan Begley playing an older model with an added extension on the fingerboard because he has such long fingers. New ones look the same as this one minus the keyboard addition.

Bohemian
bisonoric bellows driven aerophone

So, this means I can make two way phone calls from an airplane, if I can breathe?

Just make sure you don't open the air valve : )

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!