Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Anyone study Intermediate Cajun Accordion by Steve Riley?

A friend recently lent me this one. Havn't spent much time with it yet but got it for the purpose of learning "La Vie Je Croyais Je Voulais".
He doesn't break things down as much as Dirk Powell but he does slow it down and everything is very clear with a zoom in window on the treble, plus like you say he is an awesome player to learn from. Was fortunate enough to see The Mamou playboys last year and could'nt help but dance even though j' ne pas dancez!
I reckon Brett Thibodeaux's youtube lessons are very good and of course you'll be familiar with Chris Miller's- easy to take in, hard to take off!

Hi, Tommy.

I don't recall many triplets on the Riley Intermediate DVD. In fact, Steve Riley doesn't play a lot of triplets. One fellow who does, Steve's cousin, is Wilson Savoy. Wilson has a DVD "Wilson Savoy, Cajun Rhythm and Improvisation" available on his website http://www.almenapictures.com/. Chapter 2 is devoted entirely to triplets.

FYI Steve Riley explained a triplet to me as 3 notes spanning one beat, using two adjacent buttons both on the same push or pull, with the 3rd note played with a bellows reversal on the 2nd button. I was taught that any 3 notes in one beat made a triplet, but the Cajun accordion definition seems to require the bellows reversal.

Learning to play a triplet is one thing, but learning where a triplet fits is yet another.

For usage of the triplet, there is no better example than Marc Savoy who plays them profusely. Pick a song - any song he plays - and it will have 'em.

-Nedro

Thank you Nedro for your kind help. Yeah, good old triplets. I need some... -L-

mmm ... I don't know triplets is the right word! That's just how I call them. But there might be another term for that. Anyway: in Cajun waltzes and blues I think this is an essential ingredient to tweak tunes and songs.

oh.. now I see it' s an official term. I didn't even know that.

Peer,

Say it in Dutch. And then say "soule".

Ned,

Could you do a favor and post an example of those triplets? I just can't convert the description into action.

Thanks.

John in Oregon

Watch Jude's neat version of 99 year Waltz. He does some beauties.

For example:

6-pull (1st note)
5-pull (2nd note)
5-push (3rd) note)

All in a one-beat span.

At 1/3 of a second, too short to post.

Thanks N, yeah, that's the start of it. Little buggers are everywhere with their more complex friends... -L-

Thanks!

Cool! So that's what it's called then. I do those a bit in any number of songs. Useful things they are.

Hah.. Cajun Accordion. It's only 10 buttons. How hard can it be...

Sheesh..

John in Oregon

It just struck me - Think of singing "tiddledee da", the "tiddledee" a triplet and the "da" being a quarter note.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!