Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice on tuning nearly 100 year old reeds

I've tuned these old reeds before, with a 1920's Hohner three stop, but I was not using the reed puller (hook) as much back then, as I am now, with comparitively super strong Italian reeds. As you probably already know the reed puller is specifically for using to sharpen the 'pull' reeds, whilst they are installed and waxed into the accordion. It's only meant for sharpening the pitch, by getting access, to scratch the tip of the reed.

My question is.... should I chance using the reed puller to tune these old reeds, or should I remove them to tune them? Even scratching the backs to lower the pitch seems a little scary to me. Either way I'll be gentle as if they were brittle cracker. Not that they are, I'm just sayin'

Re: Advice on tuning nearly 100 year old reeds

I only pull up the bigger reeds, and take out the smaller ones, on either type reeds.

I know what you mean. If we're talkin' Binci, I can manage all bassoon pull reeds, in any key. With the mids, I can manage about 5 down in most keys. The highs only the first three or four.

Took me forever to get it right!

Ditto what Bryan said. I doubt most of those reeds are really that far off as I'm sure Doucet tuned it at some point.

I know Randy Falcon tunes his accordions on the push so that the reed being tuned is on the top and then once he finishes tuning all of the reeds flips them all over to tune the pull, which is now on the push. Some people seem to say that's a waste of time on his part instead of catching the underside of the reeds but from my experience his accordions seem to be the most "in tune" when they leave the shop.

John

I also tune the pull reeds in the push position when they're off by more than fine tuning. Saves a lot of lifting. Then I fine tune in the correct position.

May try that to get them closd, then flip and fine tune. Great ideas guys!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!