Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Going from C Box to B flat Box?

If you already know the finger patterns, should be no problem at all, unless you want to play songs in the same key as you did on the original box.

On the C box, you were playing primarily in C and G.

On the Bb, you will play primarily in Bb and F.

Unless you have a combination of perfect pitch and OCD, and can't hear the song in another key, it should be no problem.

Learning new songs from cd's will be problematic, as most cajun boxes are C, and then D.

Zydeco is C or Bb or A, or whatever. You would need to get you some software that will change keys of the recording. I use "Transcribe!". There's also some others out there, like Amazing Slow Downer.

Are you changing keys for your vocals?

I guess the best questions is, why do YOU think it would be difficult?

Don´t worry, be happy

Yeah, what´s the problem? Do exactly what you always did on the C box, and you will do fine. I don´t have one, but I´m sure the Bb is great to sing along with.
Squeeze ´em!

I never played a B flat, but I think that the only difference is the air consumption, because the reeds in a B flat are bigger/lower. I didn't have that problem with my C and D box, because I never noticed that or pay attention to it. Most of the time I can play with air enough in the bellows at the push or the pull.

Ron is dead on there is less air in the B flat you will have to use more palm motion

Thanks for the advice, I would think it would be difficult
because, the Buttons are not the same, #5 Push is G (C Box) , and on the Bflat #5 push, is not a G, its something else etc. So it might be Confusing when learning new songs, from Sheet music.
Also I will be buying a new Box from Louisianna,$$$$$$, so I want to be confident of what I should buy, C or Bflat. (I like zydeco too.) I will probably buy New C Box.

Thanks

Richard,

I just acquired a Bb Martin this weekend. It takes a little more air than a C, but it's only a slight change. I LOVE it!

#5 push is F. Just read your C or G music sheet and press the appropriate buttons for a C accordion and you'll be playing in Bb on push songs and F in pull songs. It's fairly uncomplicated.

The C accordion is essential, but the Bb opens the higher range to singers who are on pushing the edge in C.

Nedro

Do you have sheet music written specifically for the cajun accordion? Are you playing cajun music, or just trying to play along to whatever music you like?

We all start in the way that is most comfortable for us. I started with videos.

From my experience, which seems to be borne out by plenty of other folks, the single row accordion is a by-ear, by-feel instrument.

If you're reading sheet music, you ONLY have the Bb Major scale to work with with a Bb accordion.

So, if you're trying to play something from sheet music that is in another key, you most times will not have all the buttons you need to play the tune. Even if in the same key, you might not have everything you need, if the music was written for a chromatic instrument. And I'm thinking most sheet music assumes a chromatic instrument, unless it is written solely for a diatonic instrument.

The BIGGER issue is, if you're trying to follow sheet music written for another genre or instrument, you are very quickly going to run into a bunch of ergonomic hurdles in playing the single row accordion. Something that might be simple on piano, guitar, violin, or even harmonica, can turn your fingers into a mangled mess when attempting it on the single row. it just gets bloody difficult when you step out of genre. Many cajun tunes, or recorded versions, were developed around the ergonomics of the instrument.

Also, it is pretty easy to find a layout of what the buttons are for any key single row. Or you can generate it yourself, if you know that the buttons are on a C box. Just subtract/add the number of half steps between the two boxes, and subtract/add that same number of half steps from each button, push and pull.

Unless I missed it, you still haven't said why you want to switch to Bb.

Sorry, I didn't read this thoroughly.

You can play zydeco on a C box. Geno does it all the time, as do others. Usually boxes are matched to a person's vocal range. However, beginners usually get a C box, as that is the standard for jams, and friendly to fiddles (though a D box is friendly to fiddlers who don't want to tune down).

Zydeco in C, That is Good to know, I like to hear that!
It seems, The Zydeco Sounds I like, don`t seem to be in C. Hey I hope I`m wrong.
I want to play more Zydeco, (I have many Recordings). There is a web site,
I have visited that recommends B flat. Learning Zydeco was reason for Bflat.

I have learned some songs from Sheet Music, but it is hit and Miss. & Videos also( Dirk & Steve Riley)& Also my own invention. I also tried some Cajun Sheet Music (Yellow text Book ). Some worked, some didn`t. Bottom Line,
I am convinced my Weltmeister, is not Pure Cajun. I`m no expert!!!

I am no vocalist either, I only Squeeze!, Thanks Again, from Montreal!

For a first time box, stick with C. Most of the resources (dvd's, youtube videos, music camps) use a C box.

The Yellow Book, is written by a fiddler, and probably most useful for fiddlers. Ann Savoy's book is mostly useful for lyrics. I think the sheet music in there is pretty much the vocal line.

No one has done one for accordion yet.

I've found the cajun box so illogical that trying to follow sheet music to play it was just frustrating.

There are a lot more resources now than when I started 14 years ago. But, I think it's just a frustrating instrument to get started on.

Good luck. Keep at it. Get the C box!

Mr. Guy of Scotland has diligently searched out the roots of 100 old French songs and published them in volumes of 10 songs in musical notation. He has just finished the 8th volume, with the remaining two in progress. You can make your own tabs, if needed.

The music is faithfully reproduced as it was played years ago.

Check out TenStepTwoStep on YouTube and eBay.

Ned, your link misfires with a 505 error, this is it corrected:

sorry, Nout

Thanks, Nout!

The Zydeco sound can be acheived on a C box with the use of an internal mic, but really you need a band behind you dedicated to playing in the zydeco style, otherwise its just repetitive.
I'm into zydeco too but tend to stick with playing Cajun and Creole tunes- the sound is more acheivable on your own or as a small acoustic outfit, its homegrown music. I reckon the best Zydeco players will have started out in the old style, and those that did'nt probably wish they could play that way.
Good luck with your playing and don't listen to that Zydeco Force song called "B flat"!

Well said by AJ above….Zydeco, Creole, Cajun are three different sounds and after a few years of playing you should be able to pick them out…….just to add a bit…i love to play zydeco and some of it by itself sounds terrible because it is too simple and repetitive….the grove of the band gives most of the feel and sound ….by adding just a bass guitar and drums will make a world of difference….the key will not make a world of difference but an internal mic will…i have one in both a Bb and C...…..Keith Frank, Chris Ardoin, J Paul, Geno Delafose, Brian Jack, Wayne Singleton….all of these guys have several songs on a C box

Oh B-flat!

I love B-flat. I have been performing Zydeco continuously since 1998. Up until 2 years ago, I didn't even own a C accordion, much less perform on one. I have one now, and I switch between the C and the B-flat.

I have never attended a jam session, and not sure that I ever would. I don't think it is a valid concern that you MUST have a C accordion or you can't play at a jam session. If there's more than one key at a jam, take turns.

Get the key you want.

Having said all that...

A month or so ago, we hosted Jeffery Broussard - Mr. Oh B-Flat himself. Guess what - he was playing a C accordion all night! I kinda teased him about that.

BTW, an unexpected treat of the night was the fact that D'Jalma Garnier was playing bass. I knew of him as reviving the Creole fiddle style, but I did not know about his rock roots playing bass. For me, as a former blues/rock bass player turned Zydeco accordion player, it was a fascinating discussion we had about some similarities in our musical journeys.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!