Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Going from C Box to B flat Box?

Well said by AJ above….Zydeco, Creole, Cajun are three different sounds and after a few years of playing you should be able to pick them out…….just to add a bit…i love to play zydeco and some of it by itself sounds terrible because it is too simple and repetitive….the grove of the band gives most of the feel and sound ….by adding just a bass guitar and drums will make a world of difference….the key will not make a world of difference but an internal mic will…i have one in both a Bb and C...…..Keith Frank, Chris Ardoin, J Paul, Geno Delafose, Brian Jack, Wayne Singleton….all of these guys have several songs on a C box

Oh B-flat!

I love B-flat. I have been performing Zydeco continuously since 1998. Up until 2 years ago, I didn't even own a C accordion, much less perform on one. I have one now, and I switch between the C and the B-flat.

I have never attended a jam session, and not sure that I ever would. I don't think it is a valid concern that you MUST have a C accordion or you can't play at a jam session. If there's more than one key at a jam, take turns.

Get the key you want.

Having said all that...

A month or so ago, we hosted Jeffery Broussard - Mr. Oh B-Flat himself. Guess what - he was playing a C accordion all night! I kinda teased him about that.

BTW, an unexpected treat of the night was the fact that D'Jalma Garnier was playing bass. I knew of him as reviving the Creole fiddle style, but I did not know about his rock roots playing bass. For me, as a former blues/rock bass player turned Zydeco accordion player, it was a fascinating discussion we had about some similarities in our musical journeys.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!