Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sit Back, Relax, and Listen

Love that version, and anything else from Nonc Ambrose, but my favorite version of that song is Aldus Roger. I can't think of any other song that Aldus is my favorite, but that is one, though he may be edged out by Chris Miller's youtube version, which boggles my feeble mind.

Is Chris Miller playing the Clifton Chenier version in his video? I know he has knowledge of what it's like to play a piano accordion which may have helped him to learn this on the 10 button accordion, or vice versa. It still feels like a copy.

Ambrose's version on the other hand is something else. It's different enough. And the way he sets up the reel with those quick schicks and the consistant speed he keeps his fingers moving without fumbling. There is so much muscle memory involved, it aint even funny. I listened to his version over 100 times in a row and that's not stretching it. There is either some spiritual phenomenon going on, or his unique style of knowing the accordion allowed him to play the living hell out of this jig.

Either all that, or he's making a racist statement to Clifton Chenier to let him know that the "white boys" were still boss when they wanted to be. You can hear the other white guys in the background shouting and whooping with pure glee, as if they were part of something real big happening. It just feels that way to me. For the record, I'm not racist, but I am controversial.

Whoooap..Goooo. (Priceless) Listen for it!

Pretty sure it was recorded in Fred's lounge, which would explain a lot of the yelling. Ambrose has always been one of my favorite. Nice old style.

Yeah, I like ol Ambrose. He's spry. I did sit and study on C Millers video after you posted it. It sounds like he derived his version from Aldus Roger or Aldus and his band and not Clifton Chenier. I was just speculating earlier when I said that. Chris' video will give those who dare to copy his version a whole lot of much needed confidence in accordion playing. Zydeco son pas sale' should be one of the first "show off" songs a beginner should wrastle with. He'll either love it or hate its guts. I was once a hater of the song because I had no idea what they were doing to play it, and I became uninterested to even give it a try. Ambrose brought me back! The announcer on the Ambrose video mentioned Clifton "dug up" this "old Cajun" song (les haricots). So I'm assuming the song was around long before Clifton Chenier bought it back? Crazy to think that the accordion players before Aldus and Ambrose were playing Zydeco sont pas sale'. It's hard to imagine. Maybe someone knows more.

Robert Jardell and Dewey Balfa do a good one which is on Youtube but labelled Bosco Stomp- worth checking out.
This tune makes me regret having the slides removed from my soon to be modded Harmona, but at least it'll be a loud mona hey Bryan!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!