Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for a used Cajun Hand Made Accordion Local

Hello, everyone. I've been playing an old late 70's Hohner HA114 that I had Mr. Martin bring back to life for me. It sounds wonderful, but I'm spoiled now from playing my buddies hand made Martin Accordion, and I'm tired of fighting the old box.It's time for an upgrade. If anyone knows of any around, please let me know. I'm really interested in a Martin or Savoy "Acadian". You can call or text me at 337-258-8447,and I'm located in Lafayette, LA. Thanks for the help!
email: mat.laf2@gmail.com

Re: Looking for a used Cajun Hand Made Accordion Local

I have high end single rows... but my favorites are Hohner HA 112,113,114 I have some of each.

I suggest having someone tweak and retune your HA114... light , fast, easy to repair, parts available.. cheap and cheerful.

Both Martins and Acadians are production Butt Jointed Boxes ( unlikely the lowly Hohner which is mitred)

Lots of great music has been made on Hohners

Are you looking for used because of the price.

Why not buy new from a quality builder... John (Elton) Doucet,
Brian LaFleur, Jude Moreau etc.

Thanks for the response. I have had my Hohner HA 114 retuned and re worked. You are right it does sound great, but doesn't have the same quick response and feel I'm looking for with a local cajun hand made accordion.

Nor does it have the same quick response and feel of a Castagnari. Nor does any Cajun Made box I have owned or played compared to a Castagnari. I would note the Castagnaris use hairpin springs similar to Hohner, not coils.
I like Cajun made boxes for the colloquialism and folk/art connection.

Who worked on your HA 114 and what did they do?

Revalved and rewaxed and retuned. Buttons padded ? or better yet a replacement fingerboard with access panels and a thumb groove.
Upgraded Bellows. Reface the bass valves ?

This is a bit of work and money, but the results are worth it to some.

I have some that are modded and some close to stock. I like them all.

I still recommend getting a new Cajun made box from the sources posted. In my opinion a better value than a used Martin or (currently made) Acadian.

Best of luck.

One other note..

I went full circle, from Hohners to successively better accordeons , to Cajun made, to the very best (IMNSHO) Castagnaris which I still own, and back to Hohners.

I prefer the top and the bottom to the middle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!