Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for a used Cajun Hand Made Accordion Local

I have high end single rows... but my favorites are Hohner HA 112,113,114 I have some of each.

I suggest having someone tweak and retune your HA114... light , fast, easy to repair, parts available.. cheap and cheerful.

Both Martins and Acadians are production Butt Jointed Boxes ( unlikely the lowly Hohner which is mitred)

Lots of great music has been made on Hohners

Are you looking for used because of the price.

Why not buy new from a quality builder... John (Elton) Doucet,
Brian LaFleur, Jude Moreau etc.

Thanks for the response. I have had my Hohner HA 114 retuned and re worked. You are right it does sound great, but doesn't have the same quick response and feel I'm looking for with a local cajun hand made accordion.

Nor does it have the same quick response and feel of a Castagnari. Nor does any Cajun Made box I have owned or played compared to a Castagnari. I would note the Castagnaris use hairpin springs similar to Hohner, not coils.
I like Cajun made boxes for the colloquialism and folk/art connection.

Who worked on your HA 114 and what did they do?

Revalved and rewaxed and retuned. Buttons padded ? or better yet a replacement fingerboard with access panels and a thumb groove.
Upgraded Bellows. Reface the bass valves ?

This is a bit of work and money, but the results are worth it to some.

I have some that are modded and some close to stock. I like them all.

I still recommend getting a new Cajun made box from the sources posted. In my opinion a better value than a used Martin or (currently made) Acadian.

Best of luck.

One other note..

I went full circle, from Hohners to successively better accordeons , to Cajun made, to the very best (IMNSHO) Castagnaris which I still own, and back to Hohners.

I prefer the top and the bottom to the middle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!