Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: May 2014 Song of the Month - Dixie Ramblers Special (Octa Clark)

Heres my lagniappe- april's SOTM
Apologies for the poor filming, appearance, location and out of tune reeds.
Hopefully the rest is OK.

Well done on both, AJ! You have a nice, swingy rhythm, and not too **** fast! And I like the Hohner . . ..

Thanks Jamie- just needs your vocals!
I'm enjoying my honeymoon with the Hohner she certainly is a jolie 'tit fille, nice and light and responsive, I could recommend them to anyone.

Keep on bro.

Okay, finally got a little rainy window to record this. I decided not to look at anyone else's beforehand, especially Chris' - might lose my nerve! I recorded it on a Mouton with Honer reeds first, then an Acadian with Binci's that I just bought from a good friend. The Mouton has pretty "bouncy" spring tension in the buttons, while the Acadian's is very soft. So I did two videos to double your pain - what I lack in rhythm, I'll try to make up for with novelty. And yeah, I know they're both too darn fast, but hey, that's one of the reasons for videoing, right? to figure out what needs shoring up?

Yup, definitely had too much coffee before recording this one . . . great song, though, and among my many favorites by Octa Clark. Wish I could do it more justice. I'm sprinting when I ought to be loping . . .

Me too! The red light signals the start of a race.

Steve Riley: "...simple music played by simple people on simple instruments...this music can be enjoyed at any tempo...if you can feel the music, you will find great pleasure playing it at any level." Sage advice.

Great job, Jamey. Personally,I prefer the first one on the Mouton, which seems to be a bit more solid.

I like the Mouton, too, Peer. It doesn't have the "punch" of the Bincis, but the Hohners have a "growl" that I like.

Well, to be honest, I meant your playing!
Youtube is great, but you always lose some subtleties in the sound, so it's sometimes hard to tell which accordion sounds better. For me anyway with my worn out ears. So I concentrate more on the playing than on the sound of the instrument.
BTW, according to my metronome Octa Clark's and Chris' versions are around 92 bpm, and yours around 104 (first) and 102(second! A lot faster than I can play, that's for sure.

Ha! That means I BEAT'EM! I win! Cuz 104 is like an A+ . . .

Err, that metronome definitely needs a recalibration. Maybe Jamey too.

I think the reason I was playing so fast in the first place is that I had just recalibrated . . .

I'll be already glad if I can manage 92 bpm. I'm doing my best, but I have to be careful with my ears. Every day I practice a short while. By now I'm able to play a pale copy of Chris' version, not really worth to make a video.
What I want is that peculiar rocking rhythm that both Octa Clark and Chris put in. A lot comes from an emphasis on the second beat, but that's not all. Very elusive indeed, and hard to capture!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!