Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Globe Accordeon, video 3. Optimized, far beyond it's birth quality

It's a bit unusual for the one piece reed plate to be weak. The old German accordions I've played and tinkered with had bass sides that far overpowered the treble, and all had that one piece with small reeds. Wonder if something else is coming in to play there. I am redoing a Globe D now, which also has the extra chord reed, also A both directions, curious how it will compare. I like the idea of the 4th chord reed, and have been thinking of trying it in my handmades.

I thought it was strange too. My 20's Hohner in the octave of high A had a loud chord plate, but that's only compared to it's three sets of reeds, and such teeny tiny reeds on the treble side. It also had the typical spoon set up, so that may have something to do with it; I'm not sure.

On the subject of those treble reeds... these Globe treble side reeds (or the general O stamp reeds), are far stronger than even the largest steel reeds in that 20's Hohner. They look pretty much the same, except the Hohner ones had a square stamp.

Another thing I noticed is that the chord plate in the Globe had no stamp at all, and the reed tongues were noticeably thinner than those of comparable size in the treble side.

I think you're right about that 4th plate, high A drone . I wish I had it in all of my accordions.

There's a song by Balfa Toujours, where Dirk is playing an accordion, on it's own (with him singing), in a recording, where they makes a point to have the bass side up front, and loud.

I always wondered, how the heck did that sound so different, and awesome. I think the 4th plate was the answer I've been looking for, over ten years.

I first saw that on Olav Bergflodt's boxes, from Norway. He uses a 4th chord reed as standard on his diatonics. I'd been wanting to try it ever since seeing that, then this Globe came to me with it, and I wondered if it was a unique thing until I saw yours.

I've heard those reeds were made by different manufactorers, even though they all looked the same and had the same O stamp. No telling what variables came in to play on the sound and volume of different boxes.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!