Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: July 2014 Song of the Month - Madeleine - Here I go!

Today marks the 3rd anniversary of my adventure with the Cajun accordion. This clip is offered without any apologies, because I tried just as hard on the bad parts as I did on the good (if any).

Who'll be next to join me in the pillory?

Re: July 2014 Song of the Month - Madeleine - Here I go! VIDEO FIXED

Good playin'

Woot! Way to go Nedro. First up! You da man.

I've been stuck on the 2nd part and now you gave me some reference.

John in Oregon

Nice one Ned, here I go too!

AJ, The lala version is a bit of a surprise. I wish I had your steady rhythm. A steady left side seems to make the right side notes fall into place (mine don't always). Mastering the foot stomp is my current lick!

Thanks Ned. The bass rhythm and foot stomp has come together over time, I was over stomping- and over everything- but am making a concious effort to tone it down and be more laid back; less haste more speed as they say.

I like your intricate fingerwork, it'll sure make for some impressive playing when the timing falls into place.

AJ, I really don't think you should change anything. How can you not stomp with a rhythm like that? You really captured that Creole feel.

Thanks Bryan, I meant a while back. I was giving it too much umph before- wasting energy and stretching bellows! Its a good feeling to finally get more relaxed and find that you're not wrestling with da box, I really think the light little Hohner has helped me with that.

Really liked your version, it sounds good in D and those basses were purring like a big cat. I see you are developing the richness in your playing with the dragged out bits that you've mentioned before.

Oh man, AJ. You raised the bar on Jamey for sure. And as for the stompin... So cool. The slapping of your foot was perfect. If anything, I'd say - "MORE". It goes with the feel of your version. Well done.

Man.. I gotta get off my butt and do this.

John in Oregon

Re: July 2014 Song of the Month - Madeleine

Nice job Ned and AJ. AJ, I really like that Creole groove. Since I finally joined the techno age with an Iphone, I guess I have no more excuse not to put a video every now and then. Video quality not great with the reverse video of the phone. Done with my #1 in D, sorry, no C on hand.

Not sure how well it comes through in the video, but I made modifications to the base side chord reeds to try to make it sound more like the old Saxony accordions. On those old boxes, the chord reed sound is what I always liked about them.

Man, you guys been tearing it up! Just saw Bryan's this morning; having seen the other ones yet - can't wait! But Bryan's rocks the house - excellent!

Just saw AJ's and Nedro's; same "old" story: AJ has a sweet groove and Nedro is way ahead of where he should be! And BTW, way to sing it, AJ! When y'all gonna step up and do some vocals, Bryan and Brother Ned?

When you gonna show us yours, Jumpy?

Nice. You raised the bar for Jamey.

I'm going to give this a go this weekend. I'm inspired by AJ's creole take on this tune and its not in my repertoire as yet.

Hi guys,

Here is my 1st simple and poor attempt to Madeleine for the SOTM... I learned and recorded it very quickly; so this is a bit rough yet!
In any case, I'm not a great accordion player, so don't be too rude with me ;)
By the way, I can present you my brand new Martin accordion in D... I have to get used with it but, compared to my old heavy SWALLOW in C, it has nothing to do with it!

No rudeness for that one, Greg! Good work with a nice box.

Well done! The important thing is to just do it. -- says the guy who hasn't posted this song yet.

John in Oregon

Greg thank you for finally waking up and buying a Martin. That crawfish on the bellows always makes a song sound better. Nice job

I gave it a go. This is how I felt it today. Link 1

Woot! Man... love those looong notes there, Chris.

Thanks for the contribution.

John in Oregon

I can hear "Madeleine" all the time on my Pandora cajun /zydeco channel.
Nedro, great fast fingers but the steady beat is what you need. Octa Clark was a frickin metronome-like player.
Those 3 young guys were traditional cajun thru and thru. Loved that.
AJ's "la-la" or Creole version was great. Didn't expect that.
Chris Miller-...I only hate you a little bit. That flurry of notes at the end of your video might cause me to throw in the towel! What the hell was that?! How'd you do that?
Really nice playing, you guys... I'm downright jealous.
Got to put in the time if you wanna play like it's a crime. :)

Jeez, Chris always sets the bar.

Greg, I think you got it going on, nice job.

Re: July 2014 Song of the Month - Madeleine - my version

Well... finally, I got it done. I liked what Steve Riley did along with Dewey Balfa with that open version, so this is my take. It would be better with a fiddle. Some day, I'll find one to work with me.

Re: July 2014 Song of the Month - Madeleine - my version

Nice. I like the tempo.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!