Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: base side helop

Nedro is right. Big Nick's DVDs are the way to go. I knew nothing about Cajun music when I started and after Vol 3, I was well on my way. He spends a lot of time on the bass hand in Vol 2. Be paient and you will learn to use the bases.

Another thing to do is to get a metronome and use it a lot. That will help you to play in time and will help out with the left hand.

That and just a lot of work. It just seems to happen at some point. For me, waltzes are easy as can be. My left hand goes all stupid on 2-steps.

Don't get disheartened. It takes a lot of time and work, but when you round them corners... man.. that's fun.

John in Oregon

Can this even be explained successfully in mere words? Yes it can, but only by few.

I know when I play any song, I start briefly on the treble side just until it feels or sounds like it\'s time to come in with the base side. I always start with the top \"chord\" button on the base side whether it\'s with a two step or a waltz. You blend that first baseside lick in to the beat that\'s being given by your treble side. The base side should follwo the treble side, not the treble side follow the base. Then you try to pick out when the drop chord or drop beat is happening on your treble side. At this exact time of this drop chord, your pinky should be hitting the bottom \"base\" button on the base side. All instruments accompanying your accordion will key off of this drop beat that will be emphasized by both the stress note of the treble side and the \"base\" bottom button on the base side of your accordion. In the end, you will be able to \"FEEL\" the rhythm down to your toes and feet which will enable you to tap your feet correctly instead of all over the dam place like a fool. Eventually, your whole body will dance to the music you are making. Hope I heloped you.

Oh my

What? is the bass side now some mystical experience? Two step - four quarter notes to a bar - bass on 1,2,3 and 4 or if you're playing eigth notes bass on 1,3,5 and 7 - 4/4 time. Waltz - three quarter notes to the bar - bass on 1,2 and 3 - 3/4 time. Start with the bottom button and alternate until the wind changes.

Re: Oh my

Did I get in your craw there Mr Guy? "Mystical Experience"?????

Re: Oh my

Beats a "Gruesome" experience!

I remember Jim Pettijohn (bmorebusker's youtube channel) made videos about that:

I hope it will help you,

Greg

Newbee, where do you live?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!