Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Song of the Month question

Hey Don,

I try to pick songs that are pretty much standards at jams - though I get off track. Don't be intimidated by others playing. Even if you can just one button it, get the song out there. That's a huge leap to make and sets a bar for yourself to push up. Listening to songs I recorded and posted a few years ago gives a sense of accomplishment for what I'm doing now.

Tabs really aren't a good way to go about it. You get to depend on them when you just need to learn what buttons to mash to make the sounds you want.

If you don't have internet at home, then it can be difficult if you are far from the music scene. The only way I get by is to download videos, slow them way down and watch what they hit.

Get the various instructional videos and work on them. Listen to the songs and hunt around for the sounds. Get a metronome and work on the basics over and over. You will be surprised at how, once you relax into the metronome work, you will start to just pick stuff up. Play at least a little every day.

Time and dedication. All it really takes.

John in Oregon (far far from the music of home)

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!