Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: August 2014 Song of the Month - Jolie Blonde

Hey!! Very nice, Bryan. +1 for the use of the #1 button also.

Thanks for leading the way!

John in Oregon

Bryan I remember watching and studying your first version in my early days of learning to play this one, you've definately improved on it and it flows like a good waltz should, like john I'm always impressed with low notes thrown in- it must take alot of practice to do that comfortably.

Can anyone help me out with the lyrics to this one?
I've been using quite a simple two verse set- can't remember where from, not quite as basic as the Buckwheat version- which I am very fond of all the same.
Is there a standard set of lyrics that most cajun players prefer?

Bryan, I like your expansion of the melodic line to follow the vocal melody. This seems to be uncommon in Cajun music (case in point: Madeleine). Nice work!

I know where you can get a C box built, but the builder requires 10 months lead-time minimum, and a substantial deposit. You do, however, get a choice of ducks or fleurs. :-)

Thanks. Ned, 10 months...I wish.

this is an an older version, just playing around one night. http://youtu.be/GlmvLVkyJy8 i hope the link is still good

Ned, I have no idea what this means. I just play. "expansion of the melodic line to follow the vocal melody"

Nedro's comments are to "Cajun accordion playing" as Andrew Zimmerman's comments are to "Bizarre Foods".

I can can hear the singer in your melody, I cannot hear that in the typical accordion part. Yours is more melody than the typical counter-melody.

CB's remark is incomprehensible, but not unexpected.

Bryan, compare your melody to this one. Yours is more complex.

Keep on "just playing." You've got it right.

Nedro... un critique de musique. Il est complex. Seance a la toilette et jouant de la accordion.

Hahaha... man.. I'm finally starting to get my french going.

John in Oregon.

Would the wisdom from the water closet whisk by the one who wonders?

Est-ce que la sagesse de l'eau placard fouet par celui qui se demande? (Google French)

I'm having the opposite reaction. I just don't hear the melody to this song, the way that it is sung or played on fiddle, on the accordion. I keep hearing harmony notes where I am expecting to hear melody notes. And that's the case whether it's Bryan's version, or Octa Clark's on youtube.

The first time that I suggested this song at a jam none of the accordion players could play it. Do the melody notes just not lie well on accordion?

- Ron

I was never attracted to the song, partially because it IS such a standard, and people might ask for that like they ask for Jambalaya (in my experience, people will ask for Jambalaya much more often).

When I did sit down to learn it, it really was not falling together well under my less experienced fingers, and someone else on here warned me that the B part was even more difficult.

Freebird!!!

I love the song, but it's one of those played so much I get kinda tire of it. But not nearly to the degree I've come to cringe anytime I hear La Port En Arriere.

Steve Riley calls this a "hard song" in his intermediate lesson CD. The way he plays it, one must agree. However, there are as many interpretations as there are players, but I still find this to be a difficult song to be so basically simple.

Here is my very humble but earnest attempt at learning this by ear. Rough but I am learning.

links have a slightly different vocal version. http://youtu.be/MTDW2AECoKI

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!