Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm doing a new CD. Need advice

I buy CD's for the music, but like others I love the information about the songs(Lyrics) and the musicians. But if it's available on internet it's oke with me. I really hope that the new CD is also a mix from more authentic music and more modern stuff

Re: New CD preview

I guess I would describe it as a more "retro" project than a "modern" project.

My band appears on various tracks, but I wouldn't call it a "band project" per se-- it is a much more open project with David Greely doing much of the fiddling and Laine Thibodeaux playing steel on four tracks, I think. I played many instruments on the CD-accordion, guitar, fiddle, drums, triangle, rub board. My daughter is on it, our guitar player's son plays drums on some tracks...

There are traditional things like Opelousas Waltz, Crowley Two Step, Lacassine Special, the Odile Falcon Polka sung by my daughter and accompanied only by accordion and fiddle and triangle. Duralde Waltz with fiddles and the accordion in F position.

The are some new original instrumentals-a mazurka, a reel, a "swingy' piece I call the "Bell City Bounce",

Originals with lyrics-a western swing meets cajun song called "Le boutte s'approche", A very old-timey "Creole" style waltz called "Viens avec moi" or the "Woodlawn Waltz"

Some reworked reinterpreted things with new lyrics-"ma file jolie blonde," -(my perspective of my daughter as the "jolie blonde" who leaves), Grand Lac Charles 2-step, (even Opelousas Waltz has my own version of lyrics)

A new zydeco flavored song with spoken dialog between a father and daughter-there will be a French and English version on the CD. It's based on a true story from the area where I grew up.

I have translated Jimmy Newman's song from the 1950s-Cry Cry Darling and it will appear as a "Cajun-style waltz" titled "Braille, braille chérie"

One track with only two accordions-Tim Broussard on a C and me on an F accordion.

Some tracks are very few instruments and sound very much like sitting in someone's home and listening-some have a more "big production" feel.

I hope at least a few of these items sound interesting to a few a you! If so, let me know! I know where a whole shipment of these CDs will be delivered this Fall! I need a lot of grassroots help in getting the word out. I welcome anyone who wants to help! Thanks!

Re: New CD preview

That sounds even better Chris.
It should have been great if 50% is more older style, but if the most is I love it more and I hope more people will do.
Please keep us informed and a lot of succes with it.
Just a request: I love a song from Moise Robin very much Les Jolie Filles de Courtableau and maybe that's an idea to record, but I think you allready made your choices. But maybe on a later project

I agree with everyone else.
Go for the simple CD case.
It's less expensive.

CD are on the way out, not a lot of folks are buying them anymore at shows and festivals. (not like they used to)

BTW, Disk makers has a good special on these packages.
Worth checking into.

Good luck,
DP

I generally read the notes then commit them to memory, which might explain why the gray matter of my brain remembers a lot of unusual stuff but doesn't have room to remember stuff I need today!

I know Rounder put out a CD of field recordings of various artists recorded by Ralph Rinzler for the Newport foundation (Austin Pitre, the Landreneaus, Bois Sec and Canray, Edius Naquin, Isom Fontenot, Aubrey Deville, the Balfas), and there was an track that was a PDF of notes and pictures. I enjoyed that. If you could put your notes on the music CD itself, that makes some sense to me.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

I briefly cruised internet looking at enhanced CD features and it looks like it could add another $650 to the project--I would be better off doing it in a physical print format--at least cost-wise.

I really am thinking that those who are interested enough in the language or lyrics or songs are going to follow links to lyrics and background information...maybe even more so if all you have to do is scan the code on the back with your phone. What are your thoughts--especially if you haven't chimed in on this yet.

What I worry about is the "new Cajun music fans" who may be less inclined to look things up than to just glance at the liner notes on the physical CD. Without the lyrics, many new fans will be "lost" as far as enjoying the language and lyrics and how it all connects to the Cajun music experience. Perhaps they would be more easily "hooked" as Cajun music fans if the lyrics were there physically.

I have thought some about printing an auxiliary sheet of lyrics that I can hand out or mail to those that want it. I think I could do this in a more cost effective manner than making it part of the CD package.

I'm trying to "keep it simple" if possible--and trying to keep costs down without sacrificing cutting costs in the music making or recording itself. Like someone said in this thread-people are not buying CDs as much. I have invested a good bit of money in recording this project--with less people buying, I'm hoping to at least break even. It's sad how few people want to buy music--most really expect it to be free--but doing a project is not free.

Re: I\'m doing a new CD. Need advice

Chris,
Last year my wife and I did a Cajun CD (available on CD Baby... title Deux Amis). We did it with Disc Makers. The packaging format we chose was the Eco Wallet, which is just a four panel cardboard case with a pocket for the disc on the inside and four printed surfaces. There is a slightly more expensive version that has another pocket inside to put a removable insert in, printed with your lyrics or whatever else you want. I am guessing you want the French lyrics as well as the English translation, so space may be an issue, but you can probably do it as an inserted multi-page booklet.

You should also consider .mp3 format distribution on Amazon or CD Baby. A lot of people now listen to music exclusively on their phones, tablets, or laptops, and don't even have a CD player. We didn't do .mp3 at first, and now I am considering going back and adding that to our CD Baby package.

Hope this helps.

Re: I\\\\\\\'m doing a new CD. Need advice

Chris, I got to see you live for the first time this past month at Larry's. I have wanted to see you guys for a while. We were having a big party for my brother. I am trying to learn to play and have watched a lot of your vids.

When your project comes available, you can mark me down for at least 5 of them. My family would love them as a gift.

Looking forward to seeing the band again at Larry's in a few weeks.

Good luck with the new CD.

Re: I\'m doing a new CD. Need advice

Hey Chris,
I really like the lyrics included. It's great for fans to learn how to sing the songs, much less the meanings if translations are included. I vote include lyrics and liner notes of your thoughts and experiences. Stories are great.
Kirk Jones

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!