Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
One step vs. Two step

Next Question: see above.
I think it's in the steps (I'm not a dancer), for I never could figure out the difference.

Re: One step vs. Two step

Why these songs were called 0ne-Steps, Two-Steps, Stomps, Specials, etc..,
would require you to resurrect the song creator and ask him...:
Why you do dat?
Then you could ask him...:
Why'd you put them chord changes where you put 'em?
We'll never know....
Probably had somethin' to do with too much whiskey.
Which may be the key to really playing this music right.
Absolute relaxation.
JB

Same thing here. I know I named one of mine a \"One Step\" but there really isn\'t much of a difference if any in the sound...You can find one step dance examples on YouTube. It looks sort of like walking to the beat.

But between the two step, one step, special, breakdown, stomp...there\'s no way to "hear" a difference in between those...at least nothing I have discovered.

I guess it's a matter of what sounds good for a name. The Lacassine 2-step just doesn't get it.

John in Oregon

Not to mention the old two-step waltz... (no I'm not drunk). We tried to figure out what that strange thing could be a long time ago. It concerns the dancers.

This topic was left in the dust when it should not have been. There's more to the One Step vs the Two Step I believe. And yes it makes a difference as to how and at what speed you're going to play that accordion. Don't believe me? Just try dancing using the "One Step" when a "Two Step" song is being played. And turn it around and try to dance using the "Two Step" when a "One Step" is being played. The problem with this phenomenon was the lack of understanding of it that took place over time. People just started naming their songs with "So and So Two Step" or "Special", or "Jig", or "Melody" without really understanding what they were doing. There is a difference to at least the one and two step rhythm and speed. Get this hammered down and you're on your way to Mastery! I am even willing to go out on a limb here and say that the One Step is more versatile than the Two Step. The two shuffle steps to the Two Step sort of lock you in, while the single steps of the One Step can be easier to add diversity to and fancy things up a bit. None the less, the "Two Step" sure won the battle of time and the "One Step" dam near forgotten. But the "Two Step" bowed down to the "Jitter Bug" in the end. Something to do with the speed that Cajuns, especially accordion players, played the music over time. Accordion players became two dimensional. They play the waltz and the two step....two dimensional. They dam near forgot the blues step and the one step.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!