Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best Beginner Box?

Howdy!

On a trip down to NOLA I fell in love with the sound and style of the cajun squeeze box. I'm a long time piano/percussion/guitar/vibes/etc. player and would love to pick up a reasonably priced instrument to get started on (although I'm already drooling over the Savoys, etc).

Any good recommendations for a box I can get somewhere in the $300-500 range that isn't a piece of garbage? Or is my best bet to stalk ebay/craigslist and cross my fingers for a used beauty in serviceable shape?

Any and all advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks !!!!

--Andrew

Re: Best Beginner Box?

Welcome to the forum. You will need to spend more than $300-500 for a decent new starter box that is not made in China. Weltmeister and Gabbanelli have good starter boxes for $1000 - $1200. Check eBay for used boxes. Craigslist is also a good place to look. This forum is probably the best place to find a good new or used box to start with. When you get your box, get Big Nicks instructional DVDs to learn how to play. It will be money very well spent. Good luck.

Re: Best Beginner Box?

Andrew - try putting beginner into the search box above. This question comes up fairly frequently, as does the answer.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!