Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Two recordings 7 years apart

Hey all. Not sure if any of you want to hear these, considering my history of Interweb controversy, but I'm posting them anyway. Either copy and paste, or click on website links 1 and 2

The first one is from 2007 on my D Acadian. A brilliant young fiddler named Greg Buergler, plays along. Met this dude in 2004, at Augusta. From my state, originally, but has since moved out west. He'd never heard this song before, but got it pretty friggin good on the first take, after one practice. A Casio keyboard, provided the beat

http://bengalrecords.com/jim/Cajun_From_Church_Point_(Greg&Jim_2007).mp3

The second link is from this month, on the Globe 'Gold Medal' accordion, in D. I tried to produce it to sound similar to the quality of early 1900's recordings. Not the best. I'm realizing more and more that the Cajun accordion, recorded digitally, doesn't do the instrument a bit of justice. Neither does my muddying of the production I'm stomping on a wooden drawer for the beat.

http://bengalrecords.com/jim/The_Globe_Accordion2.mp3

Re: Two recordings 7 years apart

Man.. way excellent! I'd say you captured that old time sound though the left side was subdued.

Love the stomping and the end.

John in Oregon

To me they both sound great, but totally different. You already had it together 7 years ago, and that fiddler is quite amazing indeed. He certainly had the feeling for this music. Too bad he moved, because you would have made a great duo (or trio, with your old man)
The second has a great authentic roughness about it, and I happpen to like authentic roughness. The sound quality is less interesting for me. Speaking about early 1900's recordings.. who cares about sound quality then?
in short: Two likes as far as I'm concerned.

Jim these are great! I especially liked that fiddle accompaniment. that guy did pick it up quick huh? I sure wish you had some more recordings with him. the globe sounds great man, I think it would be hard to recreate that old sound because well the recording equipment and environment are totally different; worlds apart actually. Unless you got your hands on some vintage 1920s recording gear and start cuttin wax records and pressin 78s you're gonna have a hard time capturing those old sounds. The accordion sounds great man, and I like the drawer drum. I call that porch reverb. Im glad youve had the opportunity to labor at that beautiful old instrument and get something out of it. I can only imagine how rewarding that must be.

Soigne toi negre

Yeah, the Globe. Fine sound!! Don't mind the recording quality.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!