Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Homesick for accordion - looking to buy

Hi guys,
I'm a young Baton Rougian that recently moved to Indianapolis (I'll be there for 4 years) and I'm already missing the Caju/Zydeco music that I've grown to love. I've played piano for 20 years now, but have always wanted to learn Cajun accordion and I figure now would be a good time to learn (these people need a little joie de vivre up here)

Long story short, I've finally saved up enough money to buy an accordion (budget - $800-$1200) and all I can find is these junky Hohner Ariettes.

Where can I buy a new or used, quality, intro level Cajun accordion (preferably made by a true Louisianian). Do I need to save more money first?

Second, what are the best instructional vids/books I can purchase?

Thanks for any advice/direction you can offer! God bless!

Re: Homesick for accordion - looking to buy

I am a Louisiana Cajun Accordion Builder.I have been doing it for 45 years. I just finished a walnut with plain front and back in the key of with Benci Reeds and 24 fold Italian Bellow for $1,600.00 My phone number is 337-684-6495

Mr. Doucet, I really appreciate your response. I'll probably give you a call next week when I have a little time off work.

Keep an eye out for Chuck in Indy, he's a fellow Indy Cajun music lover. You actually get some up that way sometimes, usually thanks to him.

Doucet boxes are excellent, he's a straight shooter..
and the prices are lower than they should be.

Any ideas of how I could hunt down Chuck?

He posts here occasionally, I'll let him know about the interest. Mr. Elton Doucet also posts here occasionaly.

Hey Bradley, I sent you an email.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!