Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bands

Nick!
Whur you been?
JB

Which "Nick"?

Moi?

I be here ..

--Biggy

I've got a couple bands going, one a mixture of Cajun and piano accordion songs that I write, the other pure Cajun (or as close as this Arkansas boy can come).

I haven't been on here in a while because of all it took to get my daughter off to her first year in college way up in Poughkeepsie, New York. While we were up there, my wife and I drove around (5 states in one day, 4 of which I'd never been to!) and spent a few days in Franconia, New Hampshire. Did you know they actually have Moose crossings up there?! Lot of black bear, too, though I never saw either.

And about as soon as I got home, my wife and I got a stomach bug, so that's had me down. I've hardly felt like riding my new Trikke T12 (look it up) or playing ping-pong (which I'm much better at than Cajun accordion, though I know that's not saying a helluva lot).

Side-story: I showed up late for my flight out of Arkansas, in my gold-pinstriped seersucker jumpsuit and blue glitter nail polish on my right hand (another story) WITHOUT a picture ID. To get on the plane, I had to go through a VERY thorough search in front of about 100 curious onlookers. Tip: telling the TSA guys that they can touch you anywhere they want as much as they want actually makes them back up a little . . .

More than you ever wanted to know about my life, but there it is. Hope to be back to the Bravenet soon, and with videos!

Jamey, besides being a CA/PA player (good), a singer (very good), a pingpong player (excellent I guess), you are an amazing storyteller.
Your only problem is - I told you before - that you are way too modest. So keep wearing your jumpsuits and tell about your adventures, OT or not.
The world needs more colourful people like you! And I hope that you got rid of that bug (salmonella?) by now, and that it didn't spoil your birthday party.

Peer, thanks for the kind words, brother - life's for living! If I ever get this Skype thing going (which seems likely, now that my daughter is so far away at school), I'll have plenty of stories for you . . . I've no lack of stories; it's remembering them all that is a problem . . .

I have two bands. one is an acoustic trio (washboard, guitar, accordion) to work smaller gigs and farmers markets.

The other is a 4 piece electric (drums, guitar, bass, accordion). both do a mixture of cajun and zydeco.

I play electric guitar, fiddle, and occasionally triple-row, and sing backup vocals, in a country band that gigs a fair amount, about 18 gigs this year. I play electric guitar, keyboards and harmonica, and sing some lead vocals and lots of backup vocals, in a classic rock-n-roll band that gigs 2-3x/yr. Plus I get calls 4-5x/yr to sit in with friends' bands for one-off gigs, like playing guitar or fiddle with Dwight's band, or playing guitar or mandolin with friends' bluegrass bands. So all in all I guess I gig about 2x/mth.

- Ron

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!