Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rhythm and Roots Report

Went to the Rhythm and Roots Festival in Charlestown, RI on Sunday. We caught the Fiddle Workshop, the Accordion Workshop, and the Courtbouillon Set. Just a brief rundown on what we saw/heard.
Fiddle Workshop: David Greeley, Kevin Wimmer, and Tara Nevins of Donna the Buffalo. Greeley and Wimmer played some pretty things together; especially interesting was Kevin's demonstration of different seconding styles on a waltz. Tara played some of her hard-driving modal old-time stuff.
Accordion Workshop: Will Savoy, Wayne Toups, Steve Riley, and John Baca from Texmaniacs, on a G/C/F Hohner three row. Wayne had his two key Falcon and Steve had a box with extra keys as he said, for the black notes. I didn't actually understand how that worked, but I bet people on this forum could explain it. I asked Will about his dad's idea about only opening and closing the bellows a few inches (yes, I was brave enough to stand up and ask that during the workshop!). That sparked a discussion amongst the participants ranging from trying to play with one bellows strap closed to who holds the record for breaking reeds. That was fun.
The Courtbouillon set was fabulous, with Savoy on fiddle, Toups on accordion, and Riley on guitar. They did some standards in unusual keys just to see if they could do it. No problem!
Those of you who live in LA get to see/hear this all the time but for me, it was very special, being from the Northeast.

Re: Rhythm and Roots Report

Steve had the accordion with the extra notes at Balfa camp in 2013. Way cool, but 10 buttons is all I can -barely- manage.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a really fun time.

John in Oregon

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!