Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Stop-Rods aren't staying up too well

Da quickest solution would be to take some plier and bend dat stop to the side a lil bit. I bet it wont go down after dat.

Nah in all trute, you need to open dat accordion and look on the inside and tink about it a lil bit. I hope you dont mess up dem gaskets when you open it. I'm sure da solution will come to you. You shouldnt need to work doze stops so much man if you play cajun music. Unless your a tuner or a maker, leave dem dam tings alone! You gonna ware dem out!

Here is Steve Riley playing the Hohner he has had since age 13. Rubber bands seems to work for him.

The answer is actually pretty easy if you have some accordion wax.
Open up the accordion and instead of working on the end where the stops are, do the following. Push all of the stops all of the way down until you can see the wood sliders coming out of the other side. Melt a small drop of accordion wax on the end of each wooden slider. Let cool completely. Now every time you pull them up the drop of wax will stick and hold them up.

Works great!

DP

Do not bend the rod, it will make the hole bigger. leaks will follow.

Options:

Get some violin rosin and rub it on the rod.

Or you could fix it correctly ie the right way.

Remove the offending rod (s). Press in a small dowel..dry fit it.. it needs to be tight.
Fits? ok Glue it in place.
Let dry.
Drill a hole in the center of the dowel, lets say 5/16ths of an in (8mm approx.)
Glue in a length of 5 /16ths dowel. Cut flush both ends.
Touch up paint.

Drill a new hole the diameter of the rod.. preferably slightly less.
Refit the rod(s).

This is an easy and common and permanent repair.

Get yourself some magnets 1/8 thick dia...1/4 inch long..

This is for STEEL rods. Not aluminum if there is such a thing.

Take all 4 rods out of the box.

Drill 4 holes in the wood on the inside in line with the rods slowly until you feel the drill go thru the hole where the rods go.. Only need one per rod..

Put rods back in then put magnets into the holes shoved in up against the rod.. Get a bit of wood glue and fill the rest of the hole with the glue keep it flat and let it dry..

Put box back together.. after glue is DRY.. Try it out.

The rods will no longer creep anywhere. Those little magnets are powerfull.

I did my C box and D box Ha-114's and they dont' move . If I do move them they stay put.. Is not really stiff either..

Try it. You might like it.

The above is about as Thorough as you'll get..

Johnnie

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!