Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gabbanelli G/C LMM - any ideas what it's worth

In reality, a 3 row has only one note not found on a two row.

And the Gabb has the 12 basses.

Santiago Jimenez is my favorite Tex Mex player.. .. the majority of his playing is on a 2 row.

I am not a Gabbanelli fan. Grossly over rated, over priced and modest quality,including marginal reeds.

Just be sure you want it $1600 is a lot of dough.

I agree about Gabs being overrated. However, the extra row offers some easier fingering sometimes than trying to work it out on a two row.

Cedric Watson plays an Erica.

I'd have a hot-rodded Hohner before a Gabbanelli 2 row.

I have owned somewhere around 10 Hohner two rows, as many single rows ( currently 3) and 8 Three rows.

I went back to his shop today to try it. It didn't sound as ragged as I remembered, but the low bank was muted somewhat.

He had me try some of the Weltmeister piano accordions, with stock reeds, LMM, and they sounded much clearer and defined. And that's saying a lot bad for the Gabby if it sounds worse than stock Welty reeds. Of course, I was comparing new Welty to used Gabby.

He said getting a Welty 3 row, with the bass bank replaced out for handmade reeds would give me the most bang for the buck.

I just wish I was somewhere where I could try units off the shelf and compare: Welty, Baffetti, Gabbanelli. Guess I'd have to fly to Texas.

Of the brands mentioned, Baffetti would be my choice.

Let me do a bit of sniffing around.

Also go to melodeon.net to the forum then to Buy and Sell.

Also suggest you contact "Karlos" at karlitos way.. he's got a web site down in Tejas.. he deals in boxes... straight shooter
He has posted here a few times in the past..

Give him a call tell, him El Jefe from Oregon sent ya.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!