Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Roots of Cajun music

Great list! Check your email for some suggestions. I missed the following so I will include them here:

Bury Me in the Corner of the Yard, Segura Brothers became Allons a la Queue d'Tortue

Rosalia, Segura Brothers became a bunch of blues, including Le Crepe a Nasta by Happy Fats, Le Crepe a Nazaire by Shirley and Alphee Bergeron

Segura Brothers also did one that became Valse de Bayou Teche by Nathan Abshire

Check your Babineaux and Guidry cd, Let Me Play This for You. They were also influential. Some overlap with Dennis McGee, in fact.

Petite Te Canaigh (Petite t'es Canaille), Angelas LeJeune became Catch My Hat by Hackberry Ramblers then Iry LeJeune

John Bertrand, Cousine Lilly became Tit Galop pour la Pointe aux Pins

Douglas Bellard and Kirby Riley, Mon Canon la cause que j'sus con****e became Les Flammes d'Enfer when the turn came to Austin Pitre at Mass one Sunday

Breaux Brothers did a tune that became Frog Leg Two Step by Nathan Abshire

You're thinking of Segura's "My Sweetheart Run Away" as Valse de Bayou Teche.

http://earlycajunmusic.blogspot.com/2014/08/my-sweetheart-run-away-segura-brothers.html

WF

(PS, on a side note, how many of you repeatedly have to type the captcha/codeword at the bottom of the post in several different attempts before the website "approves" of your characters??? I average 5 attempts per post, constantly getting code "does not match". Guess i can't read or it sucks at illustrating case. )

I am not good with the Captcha either!

I am not good with the Captcha either!

Re: I am not good with the Captcha either!

I never win the first time. For me it's a little like playing "Where's Waldo?"

Another one that comes to mind that I didn't see covered is The Choupique Two Step which tune was previously recorded as Les Filles de St. Martin by the Ryane Bo Ramblers.

http://npmusic.org/RayneBo_Ramblers_Les_Filles_de_St_Martin.mp3

Copié, classé. Merci.

Acadian One Step sounds a lot more like Flammes d'Enfer.

Thanks Bryan. I have a similar list. I'll cross check and get back to you.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!